_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Decal help.
Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,388 Posts
KitMaker Network: 17 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 07:05 AM UTC
I have tried micro set and sol with no luck on Tamiya Decals. They still silver and dont nuzzle down, and often the wrinkles that form never flatten out. What is a better solution to use?
Phil_H
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 78 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 03:49 PM UTC
Hi Jon,

Just a few days ago, I had asimilar experience with the dec's from an older (had been sitting in the stash some 20 years) Tamiya kit.

Thick and pretty much unresponsive to MicroSet, MicroSol and Gunze Mr Mark Softer. I applied mine over "spot" glossed areas, tried all three of the above and still had silvering issues.

Did you apply your decals on a flat or gloss surface? - If it's fflat, your silvering problems will be worse, and the rough surface may be causing too much drag for the decals to flatten out completely before they're dry.

At this point the only suggestion I can offer is to prick your decals over the silvered areas with a sharp needle and apply more setting solution. This did help to some extent with mine, but didn't fully eliminate the problem.
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
entire network: 3,098 Posts
KitMaker Network: 899 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2008 - 02:51 AM UTC
Hi Jon,

As Phil already asked......."Did you apply your decals on a flat or gloss surface?"

I spray my kit with a gloss coat first. In my opion that helps create a smooth surface and it also helps out with the silvering problem. I then use a wet cotton swab to make sure that all of the wrinkles are removed. I then apply a dull coat over everything.

I have MicroSet and MicroSol sitting with the rest of my supplies but I don't use them very often. Just plain old water tends to work out fine with me.

Just my two cents.

HARV
Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,388 Posts
KitMaker Network: 17 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2008 - 08:08 AM UTC
I applied Model Master Acryl Gloss Clear over the entire model before decaling. The surface did feel funny (like fine grained sandpaper) when i applied the decals.
kriegsketten
Vendor
ECHELON
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 283 Posts
KitMaker Network: 96 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 09:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I applied Model Master Acryl Gloss Clear over the entire model before decaling. The surface did feel funny (like fine grained sandpaper) when i applied the decals.

The problem lies with your gloss - sandpaper surface = worse than matt surface!. Did you hand brush or airbrush? If airbrush, did you thin your gloss with enough thinner? It must be around 50/50 paint/thin ratio. Too much or too little won't cut it. If handbrushed, maybe there's something wrong with the clear gloss paint?

JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 7,772 Posts
KitMaker Network: 802 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2008 - 06:45 AM UTC
Try Future Floor wax. Water soluable, self-leveling, and removs instantly with ammonia ( See these results: Future Fogging Removal .)

Switching to Future, you probably don't even have to try to smooth/remove the MM gloss.
ArthurSC
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 27 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2009 - 03:00 PM UTC
I have used Future Floor wax for years now and never had any issues. If you have old film you can use it to set that as well with better results.
One bottle will last for long time.

Hope this helps.
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2009 - 03:25 PM UTC
You may sand the area with a fine grit until u get a good smooth surface. Then reapply any gloss coat of your choice. I prefer MR Color Super Gloss due to it's quick dry feature.
Then apply the decal in regular method.

You must make sure the surface is even and smooth otherwise the gloss coat is useless.

My 2 cents
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2009 - 03:28 PM UTC
Check out this thread
Decal application
 _GOTOTOP