_GOTOBOTTOM
Introductions
If you are new to the network please post a little something here to introduce yourself.
help with starting up
darren
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 13 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 01:53 AM UTC
hi all,
just wounder if anybody can help me.
i am new to modelling and would like to know what model in 1:35 scale would be a good starting point for me to get on the wagon.
any good armour etc and eventually i would like to make a diorama.
thank you i hope all you guysand gals out there can helpme
darren
calvin2000
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 886 Posts
KitMaker Network: 174 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 02:01 AM UTC
I would say start with a Tamiya kit they are really good and don't requre allot of fiddling around.
Whiskey6
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 408 Posts
KitMaker Network: 179 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 12:24 PM UTC
Darren -

Welcome to the hobby!

I am returning to the hobby after several decades of raising kids and pursuing a career. Actually, I have been rather slow about the return...doing research, gathering tools, etc. Lately I have been cutting scrap plastic with an Exacto knife just to relearn how to cut a straight scribe mark in the plastic. My cuts are still a bit wavy......OK....a LOT wavy!!

My first "Return Kit" is the Tamya 107mm (4.2 inch) Mortar kit. It met all of my criteria - cheap, simple, few parts and easy to paint. (I hope.) For me, the model also has an emotional connection since I fought with a "four-deuce" mortar battery in Vietnam.

I am taking pictures as I go and hope to turn this experience into a feature for those just starting out or returning to the hobby. Much has changed in the hobby since I was a lad - back when the earth was cooling.

Remember to take things at your own pace. This is a hobby for your own enjoyment and relaxation. Try to not get your shorts in a twist if your results are not as excellent as many are on this site.

There are many excellent model builders on here who I have found to be extremely helpful. All you have to do is ask for help and it will be there. There is a lot of good advice on techniques, etc. Although it does take a while to go back through all the threads.

Like I said....Welcome. Have fun!

Semper Fi,
Dave
 _GOTOTOP