_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Vallejo paints
Belafonte
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 43 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 01:59 PM UTC
Hi all,

I am new to the armor modeling and I need some paint for my airbrush. My local hobby shop (Hobby Land) can get Vallejo paints and the come from MMD the supplier of Squadron. I have been looking on the squadren sight and found all the Vallejo paint, how do I know what kind of paint can be used in airbrushes( squadren does not say what type of paint). I am building a 1/35 Tamiya Pak 40 L46 so I guess I will need the set of German WWII colors.

If you can give an answer, it will be appreciated!
Jacob
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 02:09 PM UTC
The 2 main Vallejo brands are Model Color and Model Air. The former is meant for brush painting, the latter for A/B. That said, although I haven't tried it personally, I believe Model Color can also be sprayed.

Have a look on their site though, as they have a wealth of information available there. Also, I believe they may have a Panzer Aces brand? Which would more than likely be what you're looking for.
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 02:31 PM UTC
You can spray both in your A/B. Model color is much thicker, so expect to dilute it ALOT, perhaps a 1/1 ratio (one part paint to one part thinner).

However, i havn't had the best success with this line of paint in my airbrushes. They are a little too translucent imho so i use tamiya paints as a base and then work my way around with Vallejo for color variations etc.

Try them out, worth the try.

Frank
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 03:35 PM UTC
You can use both the Model Line and the Air line in your airbrush.

The Air Line of Vallejo paint is just pre-thinned for airbrushing, where as the Model line needs to be thinned out alot in order to be airbrushed. As far a what ratios to thin it, I have used everything from 60/40 to 90/10 Thinner to paint when thinning them our for airbrushing, just depends on the bottle of paint.

As the rule of thumb goes, thin the paint until it is the consistency of 2% milk.

Thanks
Scott
milvehfan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,116 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,015 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2008 - 02:26 AM UTC
Hi, I have just recently gotten away from spray can use and have a cheap A/B. Still not very good at it but have found that I can agree with the above posts, Tamiya as a base coat then the vallejo paints, (model air & model color) over the base coat. The model color needs to be thinned well and I have gotten pretty good results. Keep On Modelin ! milvehfan
Bender222
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 11 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2008 - 08:55 AM UTC
I have purchase a 72 peice color set of vallejo for m aircraft painting. I have an Iwata hp-c airbrush and I intend to use it as much as possible. on the official model color website it says that for airbrush use the paint should be thinned 2:1 (water:paint) and 1:1 for brush use. ( 5 to 1 is a good transparent consistancy) I have heard that priming is especially important when using vallejo . I am going to try m luck with some mr surfacer 1000. the good thing about vallejo paints is that they work very well when brushing and airbrushing which is in contrst to tamiya which is terrible for brushing ( atleast in my experience) check ebay for vallejo paints and sets. I was able to get the 72 pc set for 190 dollars shipped hich was significantly lower than i coud find elsewhere. I found one merchant that sells 22 colors, your choice out of all 210, for 50 dollars.
youpey
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 528 Posts
KitMaker Network: 53 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 - 02:33 AM UTC
i painted a tiger tank and a building with vallejo model paint. i did have to thin it 2:1 (water to paint). and after about 20 minutes of painting, my brush was clogged because the vallejo dries very quickly. i spent about 10 minutes or so cleaning it up and it was good to go again

now, i did have to prime the model first. i used tamiya primer for it. everything was good
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 6,743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 456 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 - 02:48 PM UTC
Use clear windex and it will slow down the drying time of the paint . Making it easier to spray .
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 - 11:21 PM UTC
Vallejo does make a retarder for their paint also.

_GOTOTOP