_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Canada
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Dollarama - cheap modeling bits
Desmoquattro
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 235 Posts
KitMaker Network: 39 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 07:42 AM UTC
I've been visiting Dollarama recently to get cheap modeling bit and tools. Right now they have cutting mats (identical to any other mat, only they cost a buck), miniature chain in various sizes and finishes (the smallest looks about right for a heavy chain in 1/35 and you can get a bronzed finish), rubber-handled xacto knives with six blades included, plus the usual odds and ends for craft materials. It's also a good source for small wooden picture frames to use as vignette bases. I highly recommend you check it out for deals.
horsegunner
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 347 Posts
KitMaker Network: 239 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2008 - 03:17 PM UTC
Been using Dollarama for a few years now for the odds & sods they stock, never know what you will find in their myriad collection.

Cheers,

Art
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 02:27 AM UTC
I picked up a punch set there awhile back, will punch discs of plastic out from 4-5mm, down to 1-1.5mm. The cutting surface of them needs a little tweaking, but not bad for $1!!!!
DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 06:50 AM UTC
Thanks, I have bought many of the clear plastic parts cases, and some other goodies, but I think I will have to go back and have a better look.

Thanks for the heads up.

Darryl

From a very snowy and cold Barrie Ontario
horsegunner
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 347 Posts
KitMaker Network: 239 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 04:09 PM UTC
Some of the odds & ends I have picked up include the hobby knives, the punch set, some of the glitter stuff to cut down for vision blocks, some floral stuff for dios, the list never ends................
Dollarama - the most amazingly unique Canadian Store, eh!

Art
tominizer
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 210 Posts
KitMaker Network: 118 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 07:05 AM UTC

I found black course sand/gravel............. which I know you can scoop off the street, but this had already been graded out size wise............. and it was only a buck for each container !!

Also, stainless steel small mixing pots, long hair brushes for grass, etc, etc............. etc

Great resource
 _GOTOTOP