_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
How to quiet down that noisy compressor
cheese
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 106 Posts
KitMaker Network: 27 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 03:25 PM UTC
When I returned to modeling, one of the big questions revolved around what compressor to buy. I really didn't want to buy an expensive "quiet" compressor and knew that the same results could be achieved somehow. Through some head scratching and noisy nights, I decided to try and build an enclosure for the thing. To my surprise the enclosure reduced the noise to a hum (about 75%). It is quiet enough that, at that time when we lived in an apartment, my wife would be able to sleep in the room next door.

So, I cut out the wood to roughly the dimension of the compressor, plus a few extra to spare for some needed ventilation and sound proofing.

I made sure to allow air to be pulled into the enclosure near the intake, so I cut a whole using a drill and attached a shower drain to the hole.

I cut the necessary holes to size for the electric cord and the air hose.

Throughout the build I decided that, at some point, I would want to be able to access the compressor so I hinged the top and front of the enclosure. I used a lock mechanism that allowed me to close it securely for moving it around.

The day before committing to the build, I spent the day at the beach with SWMBO and some friends. Luckily we had this little styrofoam cooler laying around from that day so I decided, "What better way to save the environment then to start here and now?" So I grabbed the cooler and cut the sides out and glued the pieces to the walls of the enclosure.

During a build of a workbench, I took the opportunity of down time on the compressor to install a moisture catch and additional pressure valve. All in all, the build went together quite easily. For those of you who are in the market for a compressor but do not want to spend the extra money on a "quiet" one, this can definately help in ensuring that everyone will remain sane and the dog (or cat) wont jump everytime it cranks on. The compressor costed me roughly $50 US and the wood around $20. Between the hinges and hardware, the entire thing was less then $80 US.

I hope this helps for all those who are looking for a lower cost alternative. I do apologize for not providing dimensions, but I built it in roughly 45 minutes and kept the measurements long enough to cut the pieces to dimension. I do have a desire to change out the styrofoam and replace it with some synthetic sponges from Michaels, but that would mean that I would need to get rid of the styrofoam....

Any questions or comments are welcomed......Cheers, Mike.
lskspore
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 28 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 03:38 PM UTC
Must be hot in enclosure since the whole compressor is enclosed and with one inlet for incoming air.
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 07:52 PM UTC
Bro,
that's what is called engineering control. Good work on the isolation box....
Most of the noise is from the vibration of the parts. You may add some more absorber on the legs to further increase the efficiency of the whole system.
Anyway, it's cheap engineering solutions.

my 2 cents
cheese
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 01:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Must be hot in enclosure since the whole compressor is enclosed and with one inlet for incoming air.

I was concerned about that all along, kinda why I was hesitant.....but it is actually not a problem at all. I've done 3 hour spray sessions without a problem. There is enough open space in the thing to have enough air flow and the large shower drain opening doesnt require the motor to pull harder then it normally would under regular circumstances. The shower drain hole does not look rather large but I assure you that it is big enough. I was actually more concerned that it would kill the noise supression after I installed it.

Zaidi, I think you are about 50/50. The compressor is actually a diaphram motor and the exceptional loudness comes from that. It actually has good rubber "feet" to allow the thing to shake without having to make all the noise. At this point, I was thinking of adding some more material to the bottom like you said to help further reduce any noise but I am quite content with it.

I do think that I will change out the blue coil hose for something a bit less cluttery. Anyways, thanks for the comments.

Mike
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 02:51 AM UTC
Mikey,
agree with you. I used the same type and mine was equipped with rubber suction cup.
I did the review as well
Click ME

Zaidi
calvin2000
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 886 Posts
KitMaker Network: 174 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 02:59 AM UTC
simple and durable I like it think i will do the same but probably change the hose to a coupling through the side and connect up there... Great Idea!! and I can take it with me that way.
later,
Kelly
lskspore
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 28 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 02:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I was concerned about that all along, kinda why I was hesitant.....but it is actually not a problem at all. I've done 3 hour spray sessions without a problem. There is enough open space in the thing to have enough air flow and the large shower drain opening doesnt require the motor to pull harder then it normally would under regular circumstances. The shower drain hole does not look rather large but I assure you that it is big enough. I was actually more concerned that it would kill the noise supression after I installed it.

Zaidi, I think you are about 50/50. The compressor is actually a diaphram motor and the exceptional loudness comes from that. It actually has good rubber "feet" to allow the thing to shake without having to make all the noise. At this point, I was thinking of adding some more material to the bottom like you said to help further reduce any noise but I am quite content with it.

I do think that I will change out the blue coil hose for something a bit less cluttery. Anyways, thanks for the comments.

Mike

I agree with all - A neat and innovative construction.

Just a thought - on the heat issue , your compressor has a reserver tank and the motor will not run all the time. The heat built up is not the same with a motor running continuously.
Hot air rises (vertical and not laterally) and unless you have a suction fan it will remain trap. Compare it with a PC desktop computer , there are multiple suction fan to release the heat built-up or else the system will overheat.
For those using compressor without a tank they need to test it out further or maybe use a fan blowing directly into inlet.

cheese
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 06:57 AM UTC
[quote][quote]
Quoted Text

Hot air rises (vertical and not laterally) and unless you have a suction fan it will remain trap. Compare it with a PC desktop computer , there are multiple suction fan to release the heat built-up or else the system will overheat.
For those using compressor without a tank they need to test it out further or maybe use a fan blowing directly into inlet.

I agree. The compressor shuts off once the tank has an established 100 psi. It'll turn on and off when needed. For those without a tank, the fan would be a great consideration if not necessity.

One thing I forgot to mention was price. The compressor cost me about $50 at Wal-Mart. The wood and hinges for the box totaled around $30. So the total cost would be less then a "silent" compressor.

Cheers
hkshooter
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 78 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2008 - 02:05 AM UTC
I agree Mike, that heat is NOT and issue. The silly thing hardly kicks on so little to no heat is there. I gaurantee your compressor is much more cool in the box than one outside the box that runs all the time.
INDIA11A
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 577 Posts
KitMaker Network: 135 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2008 - 04:40 AM UTC
Ahhh, another future project! Have a compressor very similar and love your setup.

Excellent, now to just knuckle down and build it.

Thanx for the engineering pathfinding,

Doug
cheese
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2009 - 11:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I agree Mike, that heat is NOT and issue. The silly thing hardly kicks on so little to no heat is there. I gaurantee your compressor is much more cool in the box than one outside the box that runs all the time.

I dont get it.......were you being sarcastic??????

If your compressor runs all the time, then I would suggest not placing it in an enclosure.

You are right though, the little sucker is cool in the box. Kinda like a little bit of magic everytime you open it up, crank it on, set the pressure, close it, and..........................you can hear yourself curse at the mess you made while putting the paint into the gravity feed cup.

plstktnkr2
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 46 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2009 - 01:33 PM UTC
to quiet my badger compressor, I cut a piece of non-skid padding to fit a block of closed cell Styrofoam (as used for home insulation) glued it together and its open and quiet on a hardwood floor
just my 2-cents worth
 _GOTOTOP