Militaria Forum
For discussions on a range of topics like reenacting, vehicle restoration, and collecting.
Ural Motorcycle
sargon26
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 20 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2008 - 07:07 PM UTC
A friend of mine has a 80's era Russian Ural motorcycle. He is restoring the motorcycle and wants to paint it a Russian camo scheme. My question is where can I locate references, color charts, paint schemes etc?
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 03:18 AM UTC
You could start here:
ural.com/
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 03:53 AM UTC
I own a Ural myself. Drum brakes, tractor seats-much like your friend's, not like the current models with disc brakes, "sitzbank" and electric start.
In my travels abroad, the only Soviet/Russian Urals I've ever seen in military service were light semi gloss OD, except for a dozen or so in the famed Kabul Boneyard, which for some reason were all painted turquoise.
The cammo versions offered by Ural now don't look "right." There are a few at Stormseller Motorcycles in Grand Prairie, TX that just don't do anything for me. I certainly wouldn't use their colors as a guide. There is a nice example at Velocity Motorcycles in Richmond, VA, by the Diamond, in black, grey and white. I liked it so much I may do mine in a similar scheme. I had originally planned to do my Rodeo in a similar, but angular sheme, but alas, it still remans in black primer after three years. My Ural is still in the feaux BMW scheme of black with white pin stripes, which was always BMW's signature scheme. If your friend wants the Russian green he should probably contact Uri's Dnepr World in Ohio. They also have a very good stock of oft replaced items such as gaskets and hoses,
If your friend really wants to do a cammo version, which I'm sure the Russians have done, it would probably be a field expedient method much like the US does. I'd say just get the appropriate Krylon Cammo colors and have at it. They come in correct colors for the black, green, and brown three tone scheme.
Does your friend plan on installing an MG? I've got an old DP, and RPD's are fairly inexpensive. The mounts are very difficult to find, however.
sargon26
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 06:56 PM UTC
Thanks for the info guys. I'll pass it on to him. Yes he does plan to mount a MG. And if i understand him right, he already has the mount. Don't know if it's an original or one he is making. If your interested I can get moe info. And again thanks for the help.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 10:15 AM UTC
Yes, I'd be interested to see what he's got going. Some guns take a simple post with a clamp for the gas tube, others have the post mount with a separate cradle.
sargon26
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2008 - 06:25 AM UTC
I'll try and some pics of the Ural and post.