_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Canada
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Do you support your local model club?
MrKipling
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 27 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2008 - 07:47 AM UTC
Most of us modellers have developed our passion and skill in the hobby over a period of time where we have gained talent, skill and knowledge. It would be a fitting legacy if each of us could find ways to give back something to the hobby that has provided us with so much satisfaction and enjoyment. This isn't difficult and can be done in a variety of ways.

Keeping the hobby alive means adding new modellers all the time. The best way is to demonstrate the wonders of scale modelling to children - they are impressionable in the good sense. For little cost you can take one or two children to a model show or contest. They will be overwhelmed, no doubt, but they will also see that scale modelling is for real and enjoyed by real people. Let them see as many of the displayed models as you can in all the different scales. Those participating in the shows are only too happy to talk about their projects.

Joining a club can be a great opportunity to get something as you give something back. You get friendship and advice and you give back by sharing your expertise and participating in the club's model shows.

If you can take the time, try submitting an article for publication. Not everyone feels comfortable writing for publication because of fears of rejection, inexperience with writing, or the belief that they have nothing of interest to say. But if you remember the reaction you had to reading an article yourself and thinking "I could build this," or "That's a great idea!" then be assured that your ideas and experiences are worth sharing.

Scale modelling is one of the world's most popular hobbies. It offers infinite variety and can be enjoyed with minimum skill or with great artistry. And its enthusiasts are always willing to share their know-how - to give something back.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2008 - 08:57 AM UTC
Since they've made me president for life, I guess I support the club!
thomokiwi
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
entire network: 438 Posts
KitMaker Network: 52 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2008 - 10:27 AM UTC
Yes , I support my local club. In the end I volunteered as the Pres.

IPMS Christchurch, New Zealand
tiger39
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 12 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 06:58 PM UTC
You betcha i have been a peel scale member for 21 years now and it is a riot stil and i through enjoy suporting it
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,123 Posts
KitMaker Network: 330 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 06:26 AM UTC
I most certainly do. In the 25 years I've attended I've served in all the major capacities; member, editor, club coordinator, vice presdent and president. I am now holding down the position as curmudgeon rather nicely and see serving out the rest of my life in this capacity.

Paul
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 6,743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 456 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 01:32 AM UTC
Well I tried joining the model clubs in my area and they really don't want females to be part of their group . Which is very sad , just want to be able to share with other people not take over . So I look to this site as a modelling club . I get to meet people from all over the world
who welcome me and other females as well as part of the group and not some out cast .

DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 11:18 AM UTC
I sure do! I was one of the founding members of the Simcoe scale modellers. A small group that had female and male members, For the last couple of years I have been the club treasurer. The biggest challenge our club is facing is finding a place to meet. We now meet in the Zehrs community room, but they want to start charging us $50.00 / meeting!!! Not good for a club of 10 - 15 members

Darryl
E23C
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 238 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 06:15 AM UTC
No we dont have one here.The nearest would be IPMS Ottawa which is an hour and a half drive from me. There are a few modellers I know and we talk 'Styrene" once in a while but no organised meetings.

_GOTOTOP