Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Tales of family members in wartime
lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,661 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2008 - 08:55 PM UTC
hello, i was hoping i could start a collection of tales, fables, mysteries and conversations about fsmily members passed, or still alive that have told you or another relative has told you stories of their adventure or mis adventure in the war periods.

one relative of mine was plowing a field in south devon about the time of BoB and heard the humm of a '109 , the hum got increasingly louder, and bullets started kicking up close to him, he threw the horse down, and jumped beind it, the horse got a bellyfull of lead but luckily my relative survived. it really searches me why a piolot would choose to strafe a farmer .

another relative of mine died due to an accident on the hood, (before it sank, )
just before ww2 he was working int he engine rooms, and burnt himself really badly, the ink from the uniform leaked into his blood and slowly killed him in a south devon hospital.

another realitve, (this could have been pre ww2 or post ww2 or ww2 im not sure) my other relative was a policeman, and had an incident with some shells or grenades left close to his town/village, some kids had found them, and one had become scared and ran to the village police , what my relative found there was a few boys poking them with sticks, "ello ello ello(and all other policeman related jokes aside, ) basically told the kids to bugger orf in good old fasioned british ettiquette and stood guard over them for a whle, he was then told to move them, boom.
he was blown up.

thats all i can remeber for now!
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 12:23 AM UTC
Perhaps you should post this in the Soldier Stories or History Club Discussion Groups, as these would be better suited to the nature of your topic.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 12:43 AM UTC
My Uncle Served in the Italian Navy in WW2.

He told of his service on Battleships and Subs.

Said that the Germans were always on board to man the guns as they were German ones.

Never did get to ask him a lot of things,but sadly long gone now.
Desmoquattro
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 235 Posts
KitMaker Network: 39 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2008 - 05:25 AM UTC
My "grandfather" (actually the father of my mother's ex-husband, not my biological grandpa) was a member of the famous Number 2 Commando group during WWII. He participated in Vaagso and the Italian campaign. During an advance near Cassino (I think, I'd have to check) a German sniper spotted the glint off his helmet badge and shot him in the head. He survived, he was partially paralyzed but was able to make a full recovery. He had to walk with a cane, that was the only evidence he had been injured. After the war he became a security guard for the Mars candy plant, he used to bring bags of rejected candy to my mother when she lived in Britain. He was a kind, quiet man who never talked about his experiences, and he died around 10 years ago of cancer. Wish I had known him better and had a chance to talk to him about his campaigns.