_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Ultrasonic airbrush cleaner
spitfire303
Visit this Community
Vendee, France
entire network: 1,437 Posts
KitMaker Network: 28 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 07:57 PM UTC
Hi,

have anyone used one of these?

I've seen a short review in in one of the last AFV Modeller Magazine, the price is not extremely high but does it really work well?

spit
lskspore
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 28 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 09:59 PM UTC
I believe the principle behind ultrasonic cleaner is to create tiny bubbles of air on surface of item , to loosen dirt. The normal solution used is water. I have one and works very well for cleaning watches and jewellery. It should work fine for air-brush parts if you spray water-base paints.

If i remember correctly , the review for the air-brush cleaner version , a special solvent is provided. Probably to soften the paint especially enamal or laquer base type.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 10:41 PM UTC
Looks like the same one here.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=3305

And only $29.99

How much for the one in the mag?

I bet more.

docdios
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,998 Posts
KitMaker Network: 257 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2008 - 12:24 AM UTC
it has been reviewed here on armorama.

I found it to be excellent as giving your airbrush a real deep clean, although you do need to use a good airbrush cleaner to do.

HTH

Keith Forsyth
mark17h
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 12 Posts
KitMaker Network: 12 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2008 - 07:42 AM UTC
I bought one recently and I think its superb. I haven't been airbrushing for very long, but its cut my cleaning time in half. First time I used it I was appalled at the amount of gunk that flooded out of my airbrush!

The review linked above is very fair and covers everything well; I think its worth highlighting the tip given about putting small components in a glass jar with the solvent, rather than filling up the whole bath with expensive cleaner; just make sure the glass jar is also nearly submerged in water. Recommended.

spitfire303
Visit this Community
Vendee, France
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2008 - 12:23 PM UTC
Thank you for your replies. Jeff, in France I can find a similar one for 29 or rather 39... Euro So the price in US is really great. To have the same model as on the pic an that is reviewed (thank you Keith for the link) I would have to pay 29 £ + 14£ of shipping, that is around 60 E which is around ... 80$

I hope that this model VGT 2000 is not THE cleaner everyone should take, I hope that other brands have the same efficiency. Anyone using a different brand that works well?

I would like to just know what kind of liquids cannot be put into this machine. Apparently some could explode/ get on fire etc because of the ultrasounds.

Thank you everyone.

spit
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2008 - 11:22 PM UTC
Well Pawel I guess one thing we might have over Europe are some good deals on stuff.

No Harbor Freight in Europe.

Bummer.
TOONCES
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 15 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2008 - 12:46 PM UTC
I bought the sonic cleaner that has been mentioned in this thread. It is made by Haier, model # HU335W. It really works great. Much better than hand cleaning. But be very careful what cleaner you use in this unit. I used a small amount (about tablespoon) of Super Clean it removed the powder coating (the shiny blue end) of my old Badger 200. I would stick to designated cleaners for airbrushes like mentioned above. Circuit City carries this sonic cleaner for about $35 plus free shipping. John
spitfire303
Visit this Community
Vendee, France
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2008 - 07:43 PM UTC
Thanks, I've ordered one (another brand) for around 35E. I hope I'll get it end of this week. I'll let you know the results.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2008 - 10:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I bought the sonic cleaner that has been mentioned in this thread. It is made by Haier, model # HU335W. It really works great. Much better than hand cleaning. But be very careful what cleaner you use in this unit. I used a small amount (about tablespoon) of Super Clean it removed the powder coating (the shiny blue end) of my old Badger 200. I would stick to designated cleaners for airbrushes like mentioned above. Circuit City carries this sonic cleaner for about $35 plus free shipping. John

Circuit City might be better as HF are Tad slow on shipping.
Beans
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 84 Posts
KitMaker Network: 47 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 08:00 AM UTC
Just to share a bit of info-
I work in the dental field and we use ultra-sonic cleaners like those to clean hand instruments all the time. What the machine does is create "ultrasonic" vibrations which shakes off debris stuck on the instruments. Interestingly enough we don't put anything "mechanical" into it...
lampie
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 10:32 AM UTC
I wish I'd bought one at the time of the review as Airbrushes.com are now listing it as £39.99 as opposed to the £29.99 quoted in the review
Nige
Removed by original poster on 01/25/09 - 23:51:47 (GMT).
 _GOTOTOP