_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Packing Models for moving
propboy44256
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2008 - 11:50 PM UTC
I have 50 or so, 1/48 scale airplane models that need to be moved to a new house, they are hanging from fishing string in my workshop ceiliing. Any advice on best ways to pack these to minimize damage?
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,123 Posts
KitMaker Network: 330 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 03:56 PM UTC
Well, I've moved models both of these ways:
1) firmly attach my model to a base and then firmly attach the base to the bottom of a shallow box. Pack the bases tight in the box, but place nothing on top.
2) for bulk models (i.e. those not on bases) place a layer of crumpled up newsprint on the bottom of a large box. Gently place the moded into the layer of newsprint & place more over top. Make sure they don't touch and that there are a lot of crumples newsprint balls in each layer. Place more layers of models & newspring to the top of the box. Gently shake the box a couple times while packing to see how they settle & then pack more newsprint balls to stabilize things & keep the models well supported. You are going to lose a couple gear doors or turret guns and antennas,but, quite frankly, if you're hanging them from the ceiling, this should be acceptable or at least expected. If it's not acceptable, put them on bases, pack them like No 1) above and display them on shelves where they'll be safer all around.

Main point, no matter how you pack the boxes MOVE THEM YOURSELF!!! Don't let your wife or friends do it and certainly don't let the movers touch them. Do them yourself and, if possible, get them out of the house prior to the main move. Leave them at a friend's place and then move them to tthe new digs after the dust settles in the new place.

Paul
 _GOTOTOP