_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Hobby shops around Rockville, MD?
Gunfighter
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 374 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2008 - 08:24 AM UTC
Hello all,

I'll be in the Rockville, MD area in the near future for work. Any shops worth hitting up in general areas while I'm staying there?

Thanks!
Frank
Gunfighter
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 374 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 01:01 AM UTC
I figured I'd drop a quick update on my original request. Just got back from my short trip and from my searches on Google, there seemed to be only two worth hitting. There's a Hobby Works off of Rockville Pike, conveniently enough a couple of blocks from where I was taking a training course.

Nice shop, reminded me of a better stocked Hobby Town as it's a chain store as well. Nice mix of supplies like MiG pigments and filters, left over Gunze acrylics (wish I would've been down there before they stopped importing them), etc. Most kits were the newer releases and they had a nice overall selection. Not spectacular, but enough to look through.

The downside - very expensive. New DML releases were in the $55 range - and I thought my LHS was expensive! I'm sure the cost of living for that area doesn't help matters, either. Staff seemed friendly and helpful to the customers.

The other shop is Hobby City and is located about 15 miles or so from Rockville in Burtonsville, MD. Given the distance and that their website prices were pretty high, I didn't make the trip. From what I've read in snippets here and there, they might have a decent layout as well, but since it looked like it was a Hobby Works Part 2, I didn't bother with the drive.

- Frank
 _GOTOTOP