TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Ghost Recon Advance Warfighter 2
eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,008 Posts
KitMaker Network: 655 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 02:23 PM UTC
I m a big fan of first person shooter game, but i m more incline towards current day combat such as COD -4 and BF2. A few days ago, i was walking into a sale and decided to pick up a copy of GRAW. Well for the price, it didnt look like a sale. Nevertheless, i ve been playing it for the last 4 days. My expectation and conclusion are mixed.
Good
1) It really brings back reasoning and application of what i learn in the army.
2) Gave an insight into the future of wars and the new footsoldier
Bad
3) It didnt potray rebels as rag tag dress peasants, Instead they are very well equip and quite impressive in the look. Just like BF2

1) It super bloody HARD!
2) What kind of future soldiers carry so small amounts of grenades and HEDP? For god sake, my M203 gunner use to carry 4 on a good day.
3) The AI is so stupid!

My advice to all, if u have the patience and the commitment, then get it. If you prefer COD-4 or BF2 dont get it. Mine was the PC version.
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,019 Posts
KitMaker Network: 332 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 05:08 PM UTC
i have played the other Ghost recon games. they were all pretty good for their day. i like BF2 game very much, especially the ability to use vehicles although i found the aircraft very difficult to manage. my preference in war gaming is WWII although I wish someone would make a good WWI combat flight sim. right now Over Flanders Fields which is a mod for Microsoft Combat Flight Sim 2 is the best I have ever played. And it's free! I'm also surprised noone ever made a first person armor combat game.

How do you campare the AI in GRAW against that in BF2? i also play only on my PC.
eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,008 Posts
KitMaker Network: 655 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 04:05 AM UTC
GRAW 2 AI for the enemy is very very smart. The enemy sniper can still hit you even with the smoke grenade hiding ur moves. Getting a bit unrealistic and might as well dont issue me with the smoke grenades!
BF2 AI are bots, face it BF2 is not a single player game. Its more an online gaming platform. IF you want to try single player try COD-4. The single player is solid
I ve stop playing GRAW 2 today need a break its just too hard to play. Getting impossible. I wish luck to the future warriors, !
lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,661 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 07:46 AM UTC
I HAVE PLAYED GRAW 1 +2, soz caps,
and i find graw1 better,

:d
brilliant if you want a thinking game, try it on hard, i dare you.
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 09:35 AM UTC
i tried BF2 on line when it first came out when it didn't come with Punk Buster. after 50 or 60 times getting shot by a sniper within seconds of spawning it got old fast and i almost gave up trying to play that way at all. even after Punk Buster was added it was still difficult to play because the other players were just so good that going a minute without being killed was a miracle. i wish there were more shooters that were single player because the other thing i don't like in playing on-line is that i can't always spend as much time playing as other people do. people get angry if you can't dedicate the time to playing as long or as frequently as they do.

some other games i enjoyed were the FEAR games, at least the original was pretty good and is the only game that actually made me jump in places where it startled me- no, it SCARED me!!!! i liked the Medal of Honor and Call of Duty series. i also enjoyed Battlefield 1942. Band of Brothers was interesting with the way you controlled the squads, but i found that often I would put them behind cover and eliminate the enemy on my own. they were smarter than the partisans in Half Life 2, which I often sent out to be killed just to keep them out of my way, but they still weren't as "intelligent" as they needed to be. speaking of Half Life, the original Half-Life was the first PC game i ever played. Half-Life 2 wasn't bad either, but the episodes added to the story got way overdone with the ant lions to the point of being ridiculous in places. it seems that the story line was way simplified and the enemies became more and more mechanized with less emphasis on strategy and intelligent combat and more on making it harder to use the weapons against them. the robots in the latest FEAR installment are another example of overdoing the strength of the enemy requiring extraordinary firepower and luck against them instead of making it possible to use brains and force together to defeat them.

the best FPS hybrid game i played in recent memory was STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl. admittedly i went in and modified the game to allow the character to carry much more weight that the game allowed otherwise. the scavenging stuff to sell to get money to buy ammo and supplies was so tedious and repetitive that it slowed the game down. in some places the ability to carry extra weight as more ammo was a life-saver. i look forward to the Clear Skies sequel. i am playing BioShock right now. the graphics are great, but for some reason it just doesn't hold my interest so i don't play it regularly. i also started Clive Barker's Jericho but i hated the segments where a character gets into trouble and you have to hit the arrow keys in a rapid sequence as it appears on the screen. it is just an irritating waste of time that disrupts the flow of the game.

i never cared much for strategy games but I loved Company of Heros and keep it installed on my PC replaying it regularly. i have read good things about Fallout 3 which is supposed to be a hybrid shooter/rpg and just pre-ordered it.

i need to upgrade my computer soon. many of the new games coming out are written for multi-core processors. my 2 GHz Pentium 4 system, even with 2 GB of RAM and the best AGP ATI video card with 512 GB of memory i could buy, fights to run some newer games even on minimum settings. i knew i was in trouble with MS Flight SImulator X. i tried to run Crysis and i could almost hear the computer weeping!

wow! i guess i like gaming!
lespauljames
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 09:41 AM UTC
my faves

stalker shadow of chernobyl
stalker clear sky,
oblivion
crysis
crysis warhead
half life 2
fear 1+2+3
doom 3
quake 4
company of heroes, + expantion
hidden and dangerous
hidden and dangerous 2
call of kthulu dark corners of the earth
bf2
hitman series
fsx
graw1+2
lego star wars
overclocked

and i ahve completed 99% of all of em
i love games
thats all i can think of at the moment
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 10:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

my faves

stalker shadow of chernobyl
stalker clear sky,
oblivion
crysis
crysis warhead
half life 2
fear 1+2+3
doom 3
quake 4
company of heroes, + expantion
hidden and dangerous
hidden and dangerous 2
call of kthulu dark corners of the earth
bf2
hitman series
fsx
graw1+2
lego star wars
overclocked

and i ahve completed 99% of all of em
i love games
thats all i can think of at the moment

how was Clear Sky? i just ordered it from Amazon and it only had a 2 1/2 star rating so i wondered about it.

on STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl, i remember seeing a mod that let you wander around the entire area without anything or anybody attacking you and no fatal radiation effect. i thought that would be cool because there was so much effort in detailing the terrain and much of it you couldn't spend much time in. did you ever hop the fence to the left outside of the gate of the first real city you enter? it goes back to the very edge of the graphics of the game. it looked like they planned to make the city much larger as there are all those buildings that are only partially rendered and that dirt road going back through it. a couple times i shot wild dogs in that area. anyway, overall, they really did a good job rendering the desolation of the place, especially the abandoned amusement park. ( i think it was PC Gamer that ran a story on the game where the writer traveled to the Chernobyl area in Russia and they photographed the area, especially the amusement park, and showed how accurately they were rendered in the game.) the things i think it was the only game i ever played where i really felt the "atmosphere" of the area. like a great book, i was sorry to see it end.

i was anxiously waiting for Spore to be released but after reading the insane DRM copy protection scheme and the limit of 4 installations i won't buy it. apparently, there was a huge amount of very vocal anger about it. many reviews also said it was dumbed down from the initial descriptions of the gameplay, especially in that no matter what evolutionary appendages or features you selected, none was really any better than another in terms of your creature developing. an example cited a 6 legged creature and a 2 legged creature were identical in terms of mobility, speed, etc. it's too bad because it sounded like it was going to be a great game.

back on the DRM issue, i wouldn't have bought BioShock either had i realized it had a similar installation limit. there are legitimate reasons why it, or any game, would need to be reinstalled. many people buy new PCs, replace or upgrade hard drives, have to reinstall everything as a result of a virus or other malware, and even having to make more than one attempt at installing the game itself. it would seem that the buyer's name and address could be included along with the serial number rather than just the serial number and as long as everything matched, installations would be unlimited. i doubt that type of info would be passed around accurately along with pirated copies.

i forgot which game it was that came out a couple of years a go that had a DRM protection scheme called starforce or something. it wreaked so much havoc on people's computers there was a world wide outcry over it so much that the game company dropped the DRM company and i think they even re-released the game without it. i had virtual drive software on my PC at the time and that DRM made my CD burner totally inoperative with the writing functions. i actually had to replace it so it must have done something to the firmware. i was going nuts trying to figure out why it quit working because it was a new upgrade and it read CDs OK. then i read about the starforce DRM copy protection in a gamer magazine and all the problems it had caused, mine included, even though the company denied it to the end. i think it stayed installed on your computer even after removing the game and a special patch was released to remove it completely.

i would have thought that game companies would have learned that consumers don't like being overtly treated like crooks when the vast majority of us aren't pirates.
lespauljames
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 11:13 AM UTC
the ending to stalker No 1 was immnese,!!! all 7? of them was it

clear sky is underrated( onf of the not completes in the pile!!)
be carful when dealing with the dx10 , my advice is to use advanced shaders(non dx9 ) if ur pc copes.!
its a nice game, the new locations fit better, weapons you can upgrade yourself, but i have only found 1 artifact in 2 days of playing, i advise dowloading the patch straight away or not at all, cus my save corrupted after i installed the patch.
people have said in reviews that its not as scary as the first, ( im not one to get scared in games but in the underground sections in the first game were terrifying!!)
it has its moments, expect more beasts, once you get out of the swamps you will recognise a lot thats different.
i never modded the first one (didnt have the net then) but for some reason my current pc will not load it!!1 well it installs but does not play
how od!!!!

:D all teh best Jim

James.