_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Famous Tanks
Damraska
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 580 Posts
KitMaker Network: 77 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 10:08 PM UTC
Do you remember the original USS Enterprise, from original Star Trek television show. That ship survived adventure after adventure, battles with Klingons, Romulans, Gorns, cosmic disasters, strange events, and much more. In my mind the Enterprise became a symbol of invincible strength and a character as much as any other on the show. This was the genesis of my perception of certain machines as 'living' entities in stories both real and fictional.

In 1943 the United States engaged in a battle to take Tarawa island away from the Japanese. The Marines landed exactly 14 medium tanks, a single company, as part of the invasion force. Many were knocked out on the way to the beach. A few survived only to suffer destruction on the island. At the end of three brutal three days of fighting only two remained--Colorado and China Gal. Reading about that battle, those two tanks became living characters in my mind as much as the Marines who wielded them.

I build my fair share of models because the vehicle looks cool or powerful, but the ones I feel the most attachment to depict a singular subject that somehow comes alive while examining the historical record. I am looking for more such vehicles to read about and model. So then, can anyone out there offer examples of other famous tanks, singular vehicles (not a type or group) that fought hard yet somehow survived through a great battle or even entire war? If possible, please provide references. The war or era does not matter.

Thanks!

-Doug
lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,661 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 11:10 PM UTC
the b 17 memphis belle.
calvin_ng
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,024 Posts
KitMaker Network: 270 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 10:21 AM UTC
im getting really fascinated about this , im going to kepp a close eye on this post i would also want to do some famous tanks as well
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 10:52 AM UTC
Cobra King The M4A3 E2 thgat was famously "First in Bastogne" there's a thread about it over on ML http://www.network54.com/Forum/47208/thread/1224523961/COBRA+KING+found
calvin2000
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 886 Posts
KitMaker Network: 174 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 11:22 AM UTC
This is interesting I have never thought of individual tanks in this way but will enjoy seeing what you all come up with.
Kelly
calvin2000
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 886 Posts
KitMaker Network: 174 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 11:25 AM UTC
By the way just for an interesting subject take a look at the history of the Battle ship Nevada.
bizzychicken
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 967 Posts
KitMaker Network: 81 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 11:29 AM UTC
Tiger 007 but it didn't survive
calvin_ng
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,024 Posts
KitMaker Network: 270 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 12:09 PM UTC
hey pat, jumbos are my favorite tanks of world war two. do you or anyone else have links to the m4a3e2 jumbo with the 37 tank battalion named cobra king???? i would love to do this vehicle. does anyone know where i can find markings for this jumbo????
Treadhead12
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 162 Posts
KitMaker Network: 45 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 03:49 AM UTC
A few famous tanks come to mind:

LTC Abrams' Sherman 'Thunderbolt' that was on at least couple different versions of the M4.

Some one has mentioned Wittman's Tiger I he died, 007; also there are the Tiger I's he used on 13 June 1944 in Villers-Bocage.

Ernst Barkman's Panthers he had in Normandy and at Manhay during the Ardennes Offensive.

The British Cromwell that did a catastrophic kill against a Panzer IV in the Normandy campaign (see Panzers in Normandy, Then and Now).

The Russian T-34/85 that knocked out three King Tigers in one engagement in August 1944.

Major Rosen's King Tiger during his review of his battalion in the film. Also the King Tiger that went through intense combat in the 502SS Tiger Battalion, April-early May 1945 (see Armored Battles of the Waffen SS, 1943-45).

One of the first M1 Abrams Tanks that was rolled out and christen by Abrams' widow at Fort Knox had the name Thunderbolt on the left front of the turret.

There are some more, for sure. This is interesting. I will watch for more.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 08:48 AM UTC
Here's my writeup and a few snaps of a famous KV-1 I did last year:

KV – 1 Model 1941 “Merciless”

Plastic kit by Eastern Express.

Added Modelkasten Individual track links, Eduard photo etch, Jordi Rubio barrel, MV lens, Custom Dioramics boxes, Elefant chain.
Detailed underside with Grandt Line rivets. Scratchbuilt access hatches.
Added bow appliqué armor.
Scratchbuilt storage boxes, tool boxes, lift rings, and tow cables.
Waterslide decals.

This KV-1 was commanded by Lt. Pavel Khoroshilov and was named “Merciless”. It was paid for by Moscow artists who had won the Stalin prize. During the presentation ceremony, the turret was painted by the artists with the distinctive artwork of Hitler being blown up by a Russian tank. Below the artwork are the names of the contributing painters and poets. At the front of the turret is a poem written for the crew:

Storming through the fire goes
Our KV heavy tank
From the heartland it rolls
To smash the Nazi flank
Your fearless crew
Never rests
As they fire in combat
Under Stalin’s commands

During combat from 1942-1944, this tank achieved kills of 12 German tanks, 4 SP guns, 7 armored vehicles, 3 guns, 7 mortars, 4 heavy machineguns, 10 trucks, 5 motorcycles, a staff bus, and a supply bus. The crew recorded these victories on the turret side with rows of geometric symbols.

Treadhead12
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 162 Posts
KitMaker Network: 45 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 02:30 AM UTC
Cobra King tank, M4A3E2 is on my members photos.

Damraska
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 580 Posts
KitMaker Network: 77 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 04:57 AM UTC
Wow, I thought this thread was dead! Thank you to everyone who responded so far.

Jimmy, Memphis Bell is an excellent example in the aviation realm of what I am looking for. Thanks.

Pat, I saw the Missing Lynx thread on Cobra King and immediately added it to my short list. She is exactly the kind of tank I am looking for. Thanks.

Kelly, any ship that can survive two nukes deserves credit as a survivor. I remember looking into her history at some point because she was raised so quickly after the attack on Pearl Harbor and put back into action. Thank you!

Geraint, I thought about Tiger 007 and almost included a mention in my original post. I've done her in 1/72 scale and will build another in 1/35. Thanks.

Duane, thank you for the suggestions. Thunderbolt VII, Tiger 007, and now Cobra King are on my list and I will look into others.

Matthew, that is a great model and a very interesting subject. Again, exactly what I am looking for. Thanks!

-Doug
bizzychicken
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 967 Posts
KitMaker Network: 81 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 08:04 AM UTC
Doug, ever thought about some of the Funnies from 79th Armoured Div during D Day
 _GOTOTOP