_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: The Bush Telegraph
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Model shops & Art supplies in Melbourne
Angelus
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
entire network: 66 Posts
KitMaker Network: 36 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 08:40 PM UTC
Hi Guys,

I'm off to Melbourne for a few days tomorrow. Are there any must see and/or really good Art or model shops in the CBD?. Any to avoid like the plague?.

TIA

T
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 09:03 PM UTC
I suppose it depends what you like.

The Victoria Hobby Centre (?) on Swanston Street is (IMO) terrific, with their focus being trains and plastics (and from what I saw their prices were the best). There's a place up Flinders Street (the name slips my mind) sort of under the station but with road side access which focus's on plastics and RC - they weren't too bad when I was in there. Then there's a place on La Trobe street (I think - will confirm later) which keeps what seems like a bit of everything. It seemed okay when I was in there last week except that it was really difficult to move as boxes seem to have been placed just anywhere. Very disorganised.

HTH

Rudi
Phil_H
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 78 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 03:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I..... There's a place up Flinders Street (the name slips my mind) sort of under the station but with road side access which focus's on plastics and RC - they weren't too bad when I was in there. Then there's a place on La Trobe street (I think - will confirm later) which keeps what seems like a bit of everything. It seemed okay when I was in there last week except that it was really difficult to move as boxes seem to have been placed just anywhere. Very disorganised.

It's been a few years since I've been to Melbourne.

I think the first one you mentioned, in Flinders St is Hearns Hobbies.

The second, from your description, may be a shop called "Hobby Place" on Lonsdale Street. Very narrow and cramped, with the shop counter (full of R/C gear, motors etc) and cash register immediately in front of you when you enter, Lots of R/C stuff,, piles of boxes all over the place. .

This is probably not a definitive list, but it may help: http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/shopsvic.htm
Angelus
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 09:50 AM UTC
Thanks guys,

I was aware of th list at PMMS but it only tells me where they are not what they are like.
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 11:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

[
I think the first one you mentioned, in Flinders St is Hearns Hobbies.

The second, from your description, may be a shop called "Hobby Place" on Lonsdale Street. Very narrow and cramped, with the shop counter (full of R/C gear, motors etc) and cash register immediately in front of you when you enter, Lots of R/C stuff,, piles of boxes all over the place.

Hey Phil,

Thanks mate! Correct on both accounts, thanks for setting me straight Temporary brain freeze

My 2 preferences would be Victoria Hobby Centre and Hearns. That said, there's time to visit all 3 provided you are in the city during the week.

HTH

Rudi
RomeoKilo
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 160 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 12:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The second, from your description, may be a shop called "Hobby Place" on Lonsdale Street. Very narrow and cramped, with the shop counter (full of R/C gear, motors etc) and cash register immediately in front of you when you enter, Lots of R/C stuff,, piles of boxes all over the place. .

I went in there to buy some paint once, just about to process my order the bloke at the counter took a phone call. I wouldnt have minded had he actually said something to me, or even acknowledged my presence. I walked out after waiting 15 minutes. Also one of the more expensive places.

Id definatly recommend either Hearns of VHC though. Great prices and good help.

Just my humble opinions of course!
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 4,002 Posts
KitMaker Network: 648 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 02:49 PM UTC
I have the same thoughts about Hobby Place, and is now blacklisted by me. The owner seems ignorant, disinterested, and seems like he wants to be somewhere else... His prices are overbaked too...
I'd highly recommend taking the trip a bit further north to see Bill at Hobby HQ in Reservoir. Always cheerful and up for a chat, and he has an extensive range of kits. Metro Model and Hobbies in Box Hill is also a favourite.
Brad
Angelus
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 10:53 AM UTC
Well I'm back..... No offence to any Melbournites but... GOD I HATE MELBOURNE.....
That was my second time there and just reinforced my dislike of it. Great place to shop, GREAT place for food.

I visited both Hearns and VHC. The staff at VHC seemed pretty arrogant and both of them were so damned expensive. Maybe I'm spoiled by shopping at HLJ. Most Kits in the shops were nearly double the price of buying online...
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 02:38 PM UTC
Shopping anywhere for models is at least 50% more than online It's called overheads

Interesting how all our experiences and perceptions differ - I liked VHC, but wasn't overly crazy about Hearns - the entire time I was in there the one staffer was on the phone to a mate about motor racing
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 4,002 Posts
KitMaker Network: 648 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 08:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well I'm back..... No offence to any Melbournites but... GOD I HATE MELBOURNE.....
That was my second time there and just reinforced my dislike of it. Great place to shop, GREAT place for food.

Aww c'mon! If Tassie was off the coast of NSW you'd be hating Sydney worse...
Angelus
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
Posted: Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 02:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Aww c'mon! If Tassie was off the coast of NSW you'd be hating Sydney worse...

I'll Buy that.....
 _GOTOTOP