Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Back from Hurricane Ike duty!
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 3,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 453 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 07:43 AM UTC
Hey guys, just got back Saturday from Hurricane Ike duty. Damn it was exhausting. Got a few pictures of my platoons experience out there. We started in San Antonio, then we stayed a night in Baeumont, Tx. The next day we went to Orange, Tx where we did search and rescue missions. After that, we moved to La Porte, Tx to distribute food, water, and ice. We ended up at Angleton, Tx where we did the same for a few more days and then we came back home.

Here is a vedio a reporter took while me and my crew returned a casket/tomb back to the cemetary. You can here me in the background say"Good Job Guys!"
Video of my crew in Orange, Texas

My vehicle crew went out to move this casket/tomb from a road and returned it to the cemetary:

Here is my platoon, 2nd Plt, K Co, Task Force 4. I was 2nd Squad Leader

Taking a break to play some ball before we head out on another road trip to another town

We where lucky to be able to stay in the Angleton Rec Center on our last mission. We got to use this nice pool when ever we wanted.

One of the many billboard signs we where called out to try and move with our HEMMT's:

Downtown Orange, Texas. Thats me on top of the HEMMT trying to get a hold of my Plt Sgt on the cell since we where out of radio range. My squad was sent to a 2 story building to try and evacute 10 elderly people.

This is what happens after you use a civilian semi wreker to remove a 8 wheeled HEMMT out of the mud. The bad thing is that we got it stuck trying to evacuate a 87 year old man from his home after he called and then decided he didn't want to go!

This 15 year old kid worked with us for 3 days in La Porte, Tx from 0700 to 1900 each day. He was never told to work with us, he justed wanted to. We gave him an ACU shirt with all the patches and a boonie hat. The day we left, he walked away in tears after saying goodby.

My driver trying to find the drive way under the water so we wouldn't get stuck trying to back up.

Our last day together before we headed home:

We couldnt let this flag fly anymore looking like this, so we cut it down and folded it up properly and gave it to our XO to dispose of it the right way, but i think he ended up keeping it for the unit as a reminder for us:

DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 08:37 AM UTC
Great job and the flag is quite touching. Long live Texas!!

Darryl
redneck
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,602 Posts
KitMaker Network: 447 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 08:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The bad thing is that we got it stuck trying to evacuate a 87 year old man from his home after he called and then decided he didn't want to go!

So did he decide to stay before or after you got stuck?

Looks like you and the guys did a lot of good work down there.