_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Recommendations for Illuminated magnification
Angelus
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
entire network: 66 Posts
KitMaker Network: 36 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2008 - 08:43 PM UTC
Hi,

I'm interested in getting peoples opinions on what sort of illuminated magnification I should look for. I've got a week in Melbourne coming up and would like to get something while i'm there (where the shopping is, i hope, better than where i am).

My first thought would be to get one of the ones I've seen ladies using for embroidery. Floor standing, large but reasonably low mag circular lens and a bendable "neck" for want of better description. The one I've seen advertised in a mag is a 3x magnification and is around AU$100.

The second type I've seen advertised are the headset type with 2 lenses and lights on the outer sides.

Can anyone please offer any opinions of either of these types or maybe recommend something entirely different. I really prefer illuminated though as my modelling room is pretty dark and doesn't have enough power points for too much additional lighting.

TIA

T
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 6,705 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,084 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 12:16 AM UTC
Howyagoin', mate!?

Personally, I've used the headlight/magnifier style for years, that is until I tried one of these...

Clamps right onto your benchtop, (movable to where you need it most!), the "daylight" natural lighting is easy on the eyes, shows the true colors of what your working on, and the added bonus of the 3x magnifier that can be positioned again where you need it makes things VERY easy on my old eyes...

I use the lamp alone with no additional lighting in my work area, and the results are amazing...you can work for hours on end with no eye strain. And for digi-photography, the lamp is 100%, I use it with no flash, and it sure makes for some beautiful images...to top it off, the thing only costs fifty bucks USD!

I bought mine from an online art store, don't know of the availability down under, my friend, but I would definitely consider a lamp such as this!

Cheers,
~Gunny
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 07:14 AM UTC
This is what I'm using now. I really like the lighted Optivisor and it helps out in any lighting condition. Sure, you definitely will peg high on the Geek-O-Meter, but only the Carpet Monster watches you model anyway, eh?

It is comfortable to wear, very bright and will show you things you'd normally miss in cleaning up parts.
Angelus
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 10:59 AM UTC
Thanks Guys,

Gun truck, Does the LED light effect colour at all?.
sopmod6
Visit this Community
Tokyo-to, Japan / 日本
entire network: 761 Posts
KitMaker Network: 262 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 11:50 AM UTC
I use optiloupes, same as surgeons use. Its only 2.5 powered, but I can work on my projects at arms length (even to paint eyes).best of all, they have a light rated at 100 lumens (think car headlights).
Very lightweight too. I believe the website is Optilux. They are custom built for each user.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 12:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Guys,

Gun truck, Does the LED light effect colour at all?.

Nope - not at all. The LED's are high-intensity white. Don't look directly at them when you turn the unit on.
Angelus
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 08:38 PM UTC
Thanks again guys,

Hopefully I can find something.

Are there any advantages / pros and cons i should know about the different types (head mounted and desk mounted)?.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 04:28 PM UTC
The most important to me is the chance of neck strain. You want to remain in a comfortable postion when you're using either device.

In my case, the lighted Optivisor is pretty cool, but I sometimes find myself bending down and forward towards the workbench when using it. You don't have to, and can keep the piece in view and maintain a comfortable position while using it. You can also swing it up and out of the way when working on items on the bench that don't call for the magnification easily. Sometimes, I forget it is on my head...
tsx387
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 31 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2009 - 07:44 AM UTC
Where did you find the light?
lighthorseman
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 84 Posts
KitMaker Network: 30 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2009 - 12:47 PM UTC
if ur in australia try jaycar electronics they sell optivisors. well thats if ur gonna go that way. i use one and i rate it highly
 _GOTOTOP