_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Canada
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Does your Buck give you a good Bang?
MrKipling
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 27 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2008 - 05:18 AM UTC
One of the reasons that adult modelling is so popular now is that you get a lot of creative expression and enjoyment for the money you spend. Ours is a relatively inexpensive hobby. If you wished, you could do a respectable model for as little as $­50, counting the cost of basic tools. There's a lot of value returned for the investment.

Now, scale modelling is where model railroading was thirty years ago. There are cottage industries springing up, making detailing kits, special decals and even tires and tracks. It's getting more sophisticated.

Having lots of fun and building great models go together. It's a great hobby if we'll just let it be so, and not allow ourselves to be side-tracked.
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2008 - 03:35 PM UTC
seeing as to how expensive things are nowadays... i think the only thing cheaper than modeling right now is engineering paper airplanes in high school. Models have been getting cheaper from my point of view.
I remember paying 60$ or more for an older tamiya offering (1.35 tank) not so long ago because im only 20. Nowadays, with the internet and expansion of the hobby, il have it for less that 30$ shipped!

Desmoquattro
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 235 Posts
KitMaker Network: 39 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 03:11 AM UTC
I agree with Francois, I used to pay stupendous prices for kits about 10 years ago. Now things are much more reasonable. Chalk it up to internet shopping I suppose, people aren't dumb enough to pay twice the MSRP for a kit at a small shop anymore (though I still see it happen).
 _GOTOTOP