_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Spray Booth Fan Question
mark17h
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 12 Posts
KitMaker Network: 12 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 07:40 AM UTC
Hi all,

I've been looking at making myself a spray booth for my A-level coursework (There's a thread here that explains my aims.)

I've been trawling the internet to find the best blower/extractor fan I can; but I've hit some problems:

• Firstly, following the advice on this forum, I need a shaded pole or brushless motor, given the potentially flammable fumes that will be passing through the fan. With this in mind, I was looking at this fan, which is shaded pole, cheap (even considering shipping from the USA to UK) and very powerful.
  • However, this fan has now been discontinued and replaced with another type, which has a PSC or permanent-split capacitor motor (here). I don't know enough about motors to know whether this will be safe enough to pass flammable paints through - can anybody advise whether this will be safe?

Is there anything else anyone thinks could be relevant? Any help whatsoever would be gladly appreciated. I've started to design lots of ideas for my spray booth, and i'll post some designs and images soon.

Thanks to everyone, especially for the number of responses I got for my questionnaire on my other thread (I'll award the prize soon if there are no more responses).

Cheers
cheese
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 106 Posts
KitMaker Network: 27 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2008 - 01:28 PM UTC
Mark,

It looks like the motor is safely encapsulated. In other words, if the motor is not in any part of the airflow, the enclosed motor should not create a problem with the fumes. The fan you have linked to should work just fine. One last thing that I did notice: The price is pretty high for the fan ($95 US). In my opinion, you can look up on ebay or other low cost sites for the original fan you had in mind or simply look for a used version of the new fan in question.

I too am looking for a fan. Dont know where to start really but I guess Grainger would be a great idea.

Regards,
Mike
KiwiSteve
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 3 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 07:17 PM UTC
Hey Mark, just a word of warning with these types of fans if you look in the Tech specs for the fans it says that the "Motor Enclosure is Open" meaning that motor is not encased it has ventilation holes,so if you decide to use this fan for spraying anything flammable the vapor might go bang because the windings are exposed.

If you want a cheap motor why not get yourself an old or even new from B&Q range hood and used the motor out of that or even used the range hood upside down as the base for your spray booth.

Just a thought

Regards
Steve
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 08:44 PM UTC
Mark

If you're concern about the flame issue, then my only advise is to get the centrifuge type fan. The air flow is not in the axial and will not pass through the motor. The motor is well insulated or isolated.

There are not so many choices on domestic centrifuge fan, but with some luck you may found some in a car boot sale..

anyway, i just bought these type of exhaust fan.
Click Me

i bought the 165m3/hr type that enough to cater the soon-to-be-constructed spray booth.
Maybe you can get the idea and find those type of fan in your local area...

my 2 cents
 _GOTOTOP