_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Empty Boxes
zemzero
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 177 Posts
KitMaker Network: 38 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 10:48 AM UTC
I came across about 25 empty boxes in my closet, and I'm not sure what to do with them. A few hold a bunch of plastic, but the majority are empty, and damn they take up a lot of room!

I thought about cutting the box art out, As a record I guess to show I actually had that model at one time (A few of the models...somehow...had fatal accidents...)

Just wondering what people do with their empty model boxes.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 11:40 AM UTC
I bin mine. I used to keep them but they just take up space and it's not like I used to take them out and look through the box art. I have enough clutter in my life without holding onto empty boxes
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 11:43 AM UTC
For the most part the majority of my boxes get trashed. I do cut out a piece/part of each and include it, the instructions, build notes, and a photo of the project in a binder. The rest of the box and sprues get pitched. I'm even now starting to pitch the 'standard' spare parts that come from a basic kit. I've got a TON of 'extras' and tend toward scratching peices I need or going AM vs. using old extras.
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 860 Posts
KitMaker Network: 340 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 05:22 PM UTC
I used to save the art, but, now I only save the directions and spare parts. the rest is trashed.
capnjock
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 6,743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 456 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 06:04 PM UTC
I only save ones for the vac kit's the come in a plastic bag . This way nothing gets lost or damaged . Other that I through out the boxes . I only keep the spare part's if I haven't built that particular subject before .
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 06:06 PM UTC
I throw them in the trash. I see no point is saving a bunch of empty boxes. Also, to me, I have the model, why do I need the box art?
wonktnodi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
entire network: 190 Posts
KitMaker Network: 43 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 07:12 PM UTC
I use mine for placing Christmas presents in if it's something obvious like a dvd or just small and hard to wrap then wrap up the box. I love the looks I get when my Mom or Dad unwrap the gift and think I got them a 1/35 kingtiger or something. If it's a small box then it goes into the trash.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 08:35 PM UTC
I remember someone posting before that they sold their empty boxes clearly labelled as such on Ebay.
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 6,743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 456 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2008 - 03:04 AM UTC
You can sell anything on E-bay ........................
treadhead1952
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
entire network: 552 Posts
KitMaker Network: 46 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2008 - 05:12 AM UTC
I usually save the boxart as a front page for a section that contains the kit instructions, PE instructions as well as printed out pages with any reference pictures that I have dug up in a loose leaf note book, I have about six of these from over the years, They come in handy when building up "sister" ships or for general information. It also helps to be able to see what sort of odd bits of PE can be dug out from other sets for inclusion in other kits that I come across.

This is also one of the reasons that I am acused of being such a pack rat.
Cardshark_14
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 69 Posts
KitMaker Network: 51 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2008 - 06:02 AM UTC
I have framed some of the nicer ones, like the Hasegawa Emily and Mavis by Koike Shigeo, and newer Eduard boxart, like the Fw 190s and Bf 110s. A bit of creative matting around them to hide manufacturer logos and kit info, and they look like prints.

HTH!
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
entire network: 3,098 Posts
KitMaker Network: 899 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2008 - 10:29 AM UTC
I keep any decent artwork or reference photos from them. I also save any instructions printed on the box. Otherwise they go in the trash.

HARV
 _GOTOTOP