_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Xtracrylix....?
Lucky13
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,707 Posts
KitMaker Network: 530 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 06:02 AM UTC
What are they like? I thought that I'd try Hannant's own brand, since a few of Tamiya's paints needed for my 1/48 Mosquito and Beaufighter are not sold here in the UK and EU, due to their contents....
So, all things considered, what are the pros and cons for Xtracrylix?

Cheers a bunch!
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 6,743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 456 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 05:57 PM UTC
Well Jan , I have never tried this brand before but , I have heard poitive things about them .
Easy to work with and close the natural colours . Have you thought about trying Model Color (Vallejo) .
Lucky13
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 08:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well Jan , I have never tried this brand before but , I have heard poitive things about them .
Easy to work with and close the natural colours . Have you thought about trying Model Color (Vallejo) .

Nope.....never thought about them to be honest! Just checked with Hannant's and they don't have them....
Anyhoo....are they any good?

Thanks Terri,
Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,487 Posts
KitMaker Network: 464 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2008 - 01:26 AM UTC
Jan

I can recommend both Vallejo or Xtracylix paints - for airbrushing at least, vallejo are good for brush painting thinned with distilled water. you can use DW for thinning xtracrylix, but i use there own thinner for that.

I use both the above and tamiya acryl's, whatever i need to get the best (least worst) match. Even enamels if i have too, but if so use cellulose thinner and a mask, drying time is much better.

You can get the majority of the xtracrylix range from http://www.military-precision.com/. and you don't have to buy a kit, or wait ages for delivery, unlike some other lowestoft companies i could mention.

Hope this helps

Andy
Lucky13
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2008 - 03:58 AM UTC
Thanks Andy, appreciated!
I'll have a look to see which matches what and all that....
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2008 - 01:16 PM UTC
Jan , Andy is right about Vallejo paints I use them and haven't had any problems with them . You can even thin them with clear windex and for cleaning brushes with, not to mention airbrush as well .
Lucky13
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 02:15 AM UTC
Thanks again Terri....I'll try some of everything to see which suits me and my beginner fingers.....
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 01:13 PM UTC
Good luck my friend , let me what you come up with .
DogEgg
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 341 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2008 - 06:35 AM UTC
I've used Xtracrylix and they're good for the colour match and range, but they need a good five minutes solid shaking and a stir... then they dry really shiny, which is good for decals or washes, but can be a pain if you're painting figures - shiny trousers definitely look odd...
HTH

Rich
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 2,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 424 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2008 - 08:40 AM UTC
Funny, I've never had a problem with the pigments settling down to the bottom of the bottle like some other paints. A couple of shakes has usually been enough.

I've been using Xtracrylics for a few years and like them. Good color range, they adhere well and dry quickly.
From my experience, the way they're advertised as gloss and decal-ready is a bit misleading, as they require quite a coverage to get really glossy, though this is partly connected to my habit of using distilled water, either on it's own or with the brand thinner, for thinning, as I find the paints tend to clog up my airbrush pretty fast if using just their own thinner.
Thinning with only water also makes the paint dry flat (if not built up to heavy coats), quite convenient when painting cockpits or other parts of models that don't have decals attached to them. I usually don't bother fiddling with both water and brand thinner, thinning with just water. Applying a gloss coat or two afterwards isn't such big a chore to me.

Although a bit thin for hand-brushing, they go on well that way too. Just take your time and brush on several coats, letting the paint dry completely between coats reduces the risk of getting brush marks.
Lucky13
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2008 - 07:09 PM UTC
Thank you kindly folks....!
 _GOTOTOP