_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Attaching photo etch
PSullivan
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 33 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 02:34 PM UTC
Hi all,

I've been working on Trumpeter's "Karl" now for awhile and had bought the Eduard photo etch set when I bought the kit. With most of the construction done, last night I started to add some of the photo etch parts. I had ZAP gap and ZAP thin super glues to work with. having removed the parts indicated by EDUARD i.e. the hinges on the rear chassis access doors and handles I cut the parts from the frets and tried to attach them to the model. This is where my problems began. I had no control over where the super glue was going. Either the glue would wick up the tooth pich or there wiuld be too much and it would go all ovetb the area. After 3 hours I had only got one hinge and handle in place. The other had "spronged" out of my tweezers to be forever lost on the basement floor. I gave up for the night.

The next day I decided I would use 2 part epoxy so as to have more control over placing the the pieces. While at the hardware store I noticed a SUPERGLUE gel. It comes in a small tube and is very thick. You have much more control over putting this on than other types of super glue. I tried this and found it very easy to place the glue on a small palette and transfer it to the model and place the part. This worked out quite well and it was far easier to place parts, giving you a bit more time (though not much) for aligning parts.

Obviously I need allot more practice with photo etch, but the Super glue gel does make things easier!

Paul

thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 6,743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 456 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 02:50 PM UTC
Zap a gap is more on the lines for filling and the super thin is best for parts that lay flat . The gel is the best way to go . with more partice you will gwt better at it . just be careful on some brands which don't react to well from the oil off of your fingers .
PSullivan
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 33 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 03:38 PM UTC
Terri,

Thanks for the input. Hopefully my photo etch skills will improve!

Paul
 _GOTOTOP