_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Cutting Hex Rod for boltheads?
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 6,188 Posts
KitMaker Network: 193 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 08:03 AM UTC
What is a good cutting tool to use instead of ruining the work with a straight razor blade?

I've seen a Master Cut by Amati and a Chopper/Miter cutter by NWSL in Model Expo's catalog. Are they what I need?
Burik
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,437 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 08:12 AM UTC
The Chopper is a great investment. It;s perfect for this job and will give you very fast, consistent results. If you do other detail/scratch work you will use The Chopper often.

Bob
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 09:21 AM UTC
Thanks for your fast reply. After looking at it online and instead of the magazine I am now sold!
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 10:55 AM UTC
I just made these drawing up…so I hope there some help. I got tired of buy those aftermarket nuts and bolts, so I decided to try my hand at doing my own. For me it was a success…

Joe
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 01:42 PM UTC
Hi Joe! You're the man and very patient too! I tried that (and I don't have as many to make as you did) but gave up (too much work) so I think the chopper will work for me.

Besides, I have to cut those square welded-on threaded nuts for a T-23 turret too.

Great drawing by the way!
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 11:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Joe! You're the man and very patient too! I tried that (and I don't have as many to make as you did) but gave up (too much work) so I think the chopper will work for me.

Besides, I have to cut those square welded-on threaded nuts for a T-23 turret too.

Great drawing by the way!

Joe's method is very similar to one I use, except I try the best I can to cut one end square. That's the end I cement to the plate. The other I don't really care about as that end (or those) is the one to be sanded. I use a piece of plexiglass with wet/dry paper spray mounted to it.

Since you're using a Chopper, a word of caution:

It works very well for mass producing items of uniform length, but as sold, doesn't cut ends very square. In fact, I can usually eyeball a more square cut with an Xacto. The fix is simple though. As it uses razor blades, when you mount a blade into the cutting lever with the two screws, it's slightly canted to one side because of the thick portion at the top of the blade. If you install two flat washers between the blade and the lever, it'll make the blade perectly perpendicular to the work surface and make much truer cuts. Maybe it comes with them now, but mine did not.
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 01:30 PM UTC
Well, after a boring day of Sunday football I sat down in front of my project and cut everything with a straight edge and things worked out better the second time around. I straightened them up with a sanding stick too. I must of been holding my tongue the right way this time.

I was really concerned that my $30 investment may not cut them at that thin of a piece. Glad it finally worked out.

I thank you Joe.
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 03:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I just made these drawing up…so I hope there some help. I got tired of buy those aftermarket nuts and bolts, so I decided to try my hand at doing my own. For me it was a success…

Joe

Joe,
Thanks for the illustrated tips. You're the man

Zaidi
 _GOTOTOP