_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Canada
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Call out to Moncton New Brunswick folks
Desmoquattro
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 235 Posts
KitMaker Network: 39 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2008 - 07:07 PM UTC
Hey folks,

I used to be part of a modeling group in Moncton, NB when I was young. I think it was called the Moncton Modeler's Society or something along those lines. Used to meet in Riverview and on Mill Road in Moncton. I seem to remember the name Pat Johnston - ringing any bells? Just like to drop a line to the old gang and let them know I'm still alive.

Jason
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 05:12 AM UTC
Hey there Jason,

While I don't know you personally, I do know Pat Johnston.

That Moncton Model club you refer to has been long gone. Currently there are 2 clubs in Moncton, one is called Moncton Area Scale Auto club, or MASA. Mostly a bunch of car modelers, but a good group.

More recently a bunch of the guys from Moncton got together and formed Muddy River Modelers, or MRM. If you know Moncton, then you will get the meaning behind the name. For the most part there are 7-8 members of the club. I am in Fredericton, and belong to the club here called CAMS (Capital Area Modeler's Society), but also own the local hobby shop, Elm City Hobbies. And head down to a meeting about once a month with boxes of goodies for the guys, as there is no hobby shop in Moncton anymore.

Basically from Moncton you either have to go to me in Fredericton, Valley Hobbies in Rothesay, or head to Halifax. Yeah there is Micheal's.....but that isn't really the same.

There is usually one show a year in the province, here in Fredericton with the CAMS club. It has quickly become the largest show in the Maritimes, and I dare say the largest show east of Ottawa and Toronto. (Ottawa only has theirs every 2 years). I am heavily involved with the local club, as well as helping to organize the show. Our next one is May 30th 2009, should come down to check it out. Pat usually comes up as long as he isn't working. You should see some of Pat's builds now. If you get a chance, pick up a Military in Scale magazine, as he usually has an article in there every other issue or so.

As well being the owner of the local hobby shop, I run it out of my house and would like to think that my prices are decent. Only been opened a year, and business is steadily increasing. I not only sell locally and around the province, but also quite a bit of mail order as well. So if you would like, I could add you to my mailing list and you would get updates in your e-mail about what's new and any sales I have. If you want to be added, just shoot me a PM with your e-mail.

As well, we have a website called Maritime Modellers, it is basically a coming together, online of all of the clubs in the Maritimes. The guys from Moncton are probably the most active on there, mind you Pat isn't on there much. Check it out when you get the time.

Maritime Modellers

That link will take you to the title page, in the upper left is a link to the forums.

Later
Scott
Desmoquattro
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 235 Posts
KitMaker Network: 39 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 05:19 PM UTC
Thanks Scott!

I used to compete at CAMS events many years ago. I have a dozen awards sitting in a closet somewhere! I'm sure I've been to your shop, sounds familiar. We used to get gouged big time in Moncton, the only place to get kits was an art shop in Champlain place and he charged ridiculous prices - something I now know as I peruse the selection at my local wholesaler. Shame there is nothing at all now though.

I'd like to visit CAMS again, maybe enter something if I take the car. I occasionally go to Moncton to visit my parents and have friends in Fredericton. Surprisingly there is not much going on here in Montreal - I miss CAMS! At those events I had a good chance at winning something and getting door prizes - at any IPMS event I'm just average and get lost in the sea of astounding work.

I'll check out the MM site. It would be nice to say hello to the old gang, wherever they are now.

JC
 _GOTOTOP