_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
How often do you burnt out ,how long it last
mikado
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 329 Posts
KitMaker Network: 58 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 07:59 PM UTC
I was reading one of the post here and "Ti", who is one of the frequent contributor to this site has a "burn out", took a break...but according to "Ti" himself, might be planning a coming back later on

I was wondering does any of the modeller also face the same problem and how long does it last for you?

I have more kit than I can build for the next 5 years, assuming I complete one every month but I have this burnt out syndrome every often. My "burnt out period can last easily between 2 weeks to 4 weeks where I do not do any modelling at all....watch TV, goes for a swim, do some sports ...anything but modeling...

Anyone out there the same?
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 4,002 Posts
KitMaker Network: 648 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 08:15 PM UTC
Of course Mike! I have a life besides miniatures...
I find that my other pursuits earn me a good break here and there, especially when there is heavy going with sculpting or diorama building etc. In addition it is good not to become over-saturated with the hobby, as returning re-ignites the fires and gives the creative jooces extra flow...
Brad
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
entire network: 1,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 107 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 08:56 PM UTC
I had a 5 years burn out between 2000 and 2005 (changed town, lots of work to do to update myself etc). but i never really stopped building dioramas in my head, inventing new techniques etc. So when i came back after all this time, I found out I was actually lots better than when I left And my dioramas were also quite different too.
Apart from that, everytime I end up a diorama, I stop modeling for at least a month in order to let the mind cool down!
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 09:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

So when i came back after all this time, I found out I was actually lots better than when I left

I wish I could say that after the break I took from 20 to my midthirties
I have regfular burn outs none of which are due to over modelling, I have an erratic work schedule which can be exhausting and I can't face any modelling. Some times I just don't have the urge to do do anything anyway. What gets me out of it is:
1) being a news writer here on Armorama, tracking down news stories and seeing new stuff gets me interested again.

2) I also force my self sometimes. Open a box of figures , clean up the parts, dry fit them. Sometimes it works sometimes not.

3)Open one of my reference books or modelling manuals.
DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 03:27 AM UTC
I'm much the same way as the other gentlemen. I have days, some time even a couple of weeks where I don't touch a kit. This is normally because of work pressures, over time etc, and sometimes it is simply life. After all I build for fun and relaxation. If its not fun or relaxing, then it becomes work

Darryl
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 04:02 AM UTC
My current one is going on 10 or 11 months........ even though I'm working on several things for the build a tool campaign, they're not models directly.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,123 Posts
KitMaker Network: 330 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2008 - 10:06 AM UTC
I've never had "burn out" where I just didn't want to build. I have plenty of periods where I'm too busy for looong periods, like weeks or months, but it's never because I don't want to build anymore. To be honest I don't understand the concept of "burn out" when it comes to my hobbies, I only do them for fun and if I don't feel like doing it today, I will tomorrow or the next day. If I have time...

Paul
stoney
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 480 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2008 - 11:11 AM UTC
mine seem to be seasonal, I do alot of outdoor stuff so the better months are reserved for that. also I've found moving has interrupted my flow quite a bit. Sort of starting back into it now, organizing my new bench and replacing empty paint jars etc. Best to start back into it slowly.
treadhead1952
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
entire network: 552 Posts
KitMaker Network: 46 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2008 - 11:55 AM UTC
I think everyone has a spell where the modeling muse just sort of gets lost for a time. Between work, family, responsibilities otherwise and life in general stuff happens. I will admit to having to dust off a build for those reasons on occassion just to get started with it again. But it is one of my most favorite hobbys to pursue and as such it is never really too far from my mind no matter what else may be going on. If it isn't fun anymore then I would have to say it is time to go do something else to blow the cobwebs out and ease the mindset until you feel like it is time to go back to the bench, one of those personal choice things I suppose.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2008 - 12:17 PM UTC
I never burnout from modeling building and always have a kit or two in progress. What I burnout from are the attitudes online. That burnout is what determines whether I post photos of my work (completed or in progress) or whether I more actively participate in online discussions or not.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2008 - 04:16 PM UTC
Once - for about 12 years or so. Don't really know if you call it burn out. But did thats the only time I've not- been building something in plastic. I was doing the whole school, family, 1st child thing.
Then got back in and haven't stopped yet.
Sort of like some of the stories above. I always have something going,usually 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 kits going at once (right now 6) in different stages and different subjects. I break it up with OOTB, Super detail, dioramas, Sci-Fi, figures, this really helps keep burn out away.
Desmoquattro
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 235 Posts
KitMaker Network: 39 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2008 - 05:24 PM UTC
8 years. I was a senior class competitor when I was in my early teens, did a huge amount of work. Then my output began to slowly trickle down to nothing until I stopped completely and packed up my gear. Now I'm really pissed because I haven't been able to locate my treasure chest of spare parts, unfinished kits, paints, tools, etc. Somewhere over the last 8 years it all disappeared during my moves around the country.
barron
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 666 Posts
KitMaker Network: 66 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 02:33 PM UTC
Mine has lasted for about 12 Years. I used to go to every contest that I could find. It got the point that no matter what I did it wasn't ever good enough. So now I'm slowly getting back into it. I had to force myself at first but now it's becoming fun again. Hang in there It will go away.
 _GOTOTOP