_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
looking for advice on 'to build' models
tindoor
Visit this Community
Belgium
entire network: 9 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 12:03 AM UTC
Having just started the hobby of modelling (assembled half of the first model) I'm looking for some kits to add to the 'pile' of 'to be build'.
I've been looking around for models & real life subjects and have come up with the following list. Some may be the standard for every modeller, don't hold it against me

S3 Viking
F4 Phantom
A10 Thunderbolt
E2C Hawkeye
A1 SkyRaider
A6 Intruder
C-121 Constellation
A7 Corsair

What I'm asking of you is if you have build any of these kits and what brand/scale you recommend for that particular model. Am I right in thinking that scale 1/72 is easier to build than 1/32 or 1/48 because there is less detail involved? Are they to difficult to build for a beginner? If so, what kit would you recommend?

Asking a lot, I know, but thanx for your replay
--
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 12:21 AM UTC
Well, first of all welcome to Armorama Tindoor and don't have any hesitation in asking questions, all of us have loads of questions all of the time. I think i've probably built everything on your list (apart from the constellation) at least once. As far as the kits by various companies go, I suppose (and this is a personal view) I prefer Accurate, Hasegawa and Tamiya. The first thing you really should start with is the basics which are: a simple tool kit with one or 2 good craft knives (an Exacto No.1 with some extra blades and a cheap plastic box-cutter with snap-off disposable blades). Secondly, a selection of good abrasive papers ranging from ultra-fine to medium. A plastic sprue-cutter (Tamiya) is also a must here. A good pair of long-handled tweezers is also very useful in this department. The next thing on the list has to be good reference material. Starting out, I would strongly recommend the squadron-signal series of refence books, I think most of the aircraft on your list are covered. Secondly a good magazine. The best (for aircraft modellers) has to be the British magazine Scale Aircraft Modelling, the US magazine Fine Scale Modeller is also excellent. Both are full of really inspirational stuff, reviews, conversions etc... Finally and perhaps most importantly keep asking.... This is a great site... Jim
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 01:27 AM UTC
Welcome to armorama!

The basic equipment you'll be needing would be:
-Sharp Knife (X-Acto Blade works best)
-Masking tapes
-Sandpaper (200, 400, 600, 800)
-Super glue
-Paints

If you need more help. Don't be scared to ask. Everyone is here for you
WARLORD
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
entire network: 1,923 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 01:41 AM UTC
Hi! I agree with jimbrae about tools but i'm not sure if you need reference material at the begining of your career. First you should concentrate on work with plastic and make models straight from box. Good magazine will help you in improving your technique and skills. according to scale, 1/72 is cheaper and easier but f.e. monogram has skill level on packages necessary to assemble the kit. It might help you to make a decision.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 01:54 AM UTC
Tindoor, a book which is excellent is Osprey's BASIC AVIATION MODELLING, i've seen it myself and it's got some great stuff.. Jim
 _GOTOTOP