_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Modeling in Boston.
Noodles
Visit this Community
Cork, Ireland
entire network: 75 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 10:05 PM UTC
Going to work in Boston for the summer and was wondering if anybody knew of any good modelling shops.Been there the past two summers, and could only find a couple of models in Wal Mart.Any suggestion s would be appreciated.
Thankx
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 10:55 PM UTC
Head south on 95,to Rhode Island.
AA Hobbies jefferson Blvd.
Tanks and more tanks.
Wingy stuff too.
My stuff is on display on a case in the entrance. (++) (++)
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 11:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Going to work in Boston for the summer and was wondering if anybody knew of any good modelling shops.Been there the past two summers, and could only find a couple of models in Wal Mart.Any suggestion s would be appreciated.
Thankx

I live & work right outside of Boston. Contact me once you are stateside and I'll show you how to get to the Spare Time shop in Marlboro, Mass. One of the best hobby shops I've run across in my travels. There is another decent shop up the road in Tyngsburo, Mass (just south of the NH border). I also attend both an IPMS and AMPS meeting and can get you in the door if you are interested. IPMS is the first Friday of the month, AMPS is the 3rd Saturday of the month. One of the AMPS meetings will be at my motor pool this summer, most likely in July.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2003 - 12:18 AM UTC
Welcome in advance to Massachusetts. Rob is right about Spare Time. They've been around about 30 years now. If you're still around in mid September, you'll want to check out Patcon in Lowell, about 30 miles north of Boston.
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 463 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2003 - 02:32 AM UTC
what is the name of the Hobbyshop in Tyngsburo? Also how far is it from Hampton, New Hampshire?
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2003 - 02:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

what is the name of the Hobbyshop in Tyngsburo? Also how far is it from Hampton, New Hampshire?

Hobby Emporium
TJ Max Plaza
440 Middlesex Road
Tyngsboro Ma 01879

978-649-5055

reg buisness hours plus 11-5 Sun.

I am not affiliated with them, but occasionally drive 2+ hours from VT for the paint selection.

Mike
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2003 - 03:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Unsure of the distance, but it is right off of Route 3, about 500 feet from the Nashua/Mass. border. Across the street from the Pheasant Lane Mall in Nashua.
gr8voyager
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 200 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2003 - 06:53 AM UTC
If you want something closer, I think there is also one called The Hobby Bunker 5 miles north of Boston in Medford off of Rt93N.. Better than WalMart although not really large - they are more known for their variety of metal soldiers and wargaming although they carry all of the modelling magazines, books, vallejo paints, limited Tamiya, DML and Verlinden model kits, etc...

But if you are going to be in Boston, take a break from modelling and make sure to take the Duck Tour on a DUKW vehicle, hang out in the North End for the feasts, see the USS Constitution (see where Bin Laden's family owned a high priced condo right near the Constitution), see the Kennedy Library and catch a Red Sox game at Fenway. Boston is the centre of the universe you know ...

GR8Voyager
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2003 - 07:34 AM UTC
Adding to things to do in (and around )Boston : Dine at the Top of the Hub (Prudential Center), take a Swan Boat ride (wife and kids will love it); take in Harvard Square (in Cambridge); visit the Science Museum; Legal Seafoods; Kenmore Square; The New England Aquarium; take a ride down Route 3 to Plymouth and be underwhelmed by Plymouth Rock then spend a fascinating afternoon at Plimouth Plantation and the Mayflower II; head west down the "Pike" to Worcester and visit the Higgins Armory museum a major collection of knights' armor (45 minutes); continue west to Old Sturbridge Village (one hour); farther west to Springfield (90 minutes) and see the Springfield Armory (which produced weapons for the United States from the Revolution to Vietnam) Museum and the Basketball Hall of Fame (stop in at Pioneer Valley Hobbies across the river in West Springfield) then got 20 minuites south on I-91 to see the New England Air Museum (on the way back take route 140 east to check out Craftec Hobbies in East Windsor) Head north out of Boston to Salem for the Witch Museum and House of Seven Gables then take in Gloucester/Rockport/Bass Rocks on Cape Ann. Go a bit farther North to Kittery, Maine for major outlet shopping (sorry, no hobby stores) and head up a bit farther north to Freeport ME for the world famous LL Bean (open 24/7/365). While in Freport, vist the 20th Maine Shop, and its sister WWII bookshop the only dedicated Civil War shop north of Gettysburg. Of course, you'll have to head south for a day or two on Cape Cod. Get to the Outer Cape for the best beaches in the world. ( Center Line Hobbies in Hyannis just off ropute 132 behind the Cape Cod Mall). Then head out to Provincetown, no words can adequately describe P'town. Be at Race Point for sunset, the only spot on the East Coast where you can wath the sun set over the ocean.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2003 - 05:41 PM UTC
For real fun though, stand on an overpass and watch all the crazy yankees play bumper cars. they actually bump you along during rush hour, saw it with my own eyes!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Noodles
Visit this Community
Cork, Ireland
entire network: 75 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 07:25 AM UTC
Thankx for the invite General Sabot.Saturdays are generally a busy day for me in boston.The list of things to do must also beacted on.I've already been on the duck tour,and does Yankees - Red Sox in Yankee stadium count or does it have to be in Fenway?oh by the way,i'll be in those big purple trucks from Gentle Gint.THE best summer job in the World........
 _GOTOTOP