TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Are you jaded by the olympics?
elph
Visit this Community
Seoul, Korea / 대한민국
entire network: 319 Posts
KitMaker Network: 46 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 02:53 AM UTC
Is it just me or is the "Olympic Spirit" just about money and politics. I've been reading about the underage Chinese gymnists and now a boxing scandal, etc. I've never gotten into the olympics and after this propaganda stunt, I think I never will. Added to that is the IOC, probably one of the biggest gravy trains in history. Half of the events are rigged, I reckon. Remember Carl Lewis? Turned out he tested positive to a banned substance and heard nothing about him when the story surfaced. Like nobody asked him, " Did you take a banned substance?"

I feel much better after that rant.... How about you?

footsie
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 305 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 03:35 AM UTC
cant argue with that , i think that your statement sums up my feelings too , heres a thought why don't they do it like it used to be done , the loser dies and they all do it NAKED imagine the womans floor gymnastics !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! although i don't think the mens 100 meter hurdles would be much fun .
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,716 Posts
KitMaker Network: 531 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 09:35 AM UTC
I find it easy to see such a belief. For sure there is tons of money and politics dumped into it and the end results is that the image suffers. But for me it just means I have to look harder to see the goodness. Because when I see so many athletes win, I know the smile is genuine. All of them devote their entire youth, body and subsequently their adult life to only a couple chances at winning a circle of gold and the media tends to focus on the bad things.

I truly enjoy the Olympics. I love the competitiveness, I love the close teeth-mashing moments, even when they don't always go the way I want them - that just means for someone else out there they get the chance to scream up and down for their team. I'm a student of history so I like the packages that NBC puts together that gives fairly in-depth analysis of the country, the people living in it, and the athletes competing. Every single one of them has a story to be told, and time is sparse, so even a little bit just makes it that much more exciting.

Jeff
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 01:01 PM UTC
Got jaded about 30 years ago.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 03:38 PM UTC
I have been digging it. Watching stuff I did not even know was a sport. The US men's AND women's teams dropping the baton in 4 by 100 relay was classic. Lots of great stuff. Really enjoyed the soccer.
Sure, you had your doping, 12 year old gymnasts, taekwondo guy kicking the crap out of the ref, etc.
But that is what makes it fun.

And,
Keep in mind that 99% of the athletes won't get a nickle of endorsement money after the games. They will either start training for the next one or go back to their day jobs. For every Phelps there are 50 people from the saber team and the 8 man boat crew who won't be on the cover of SI or a Wheaties box.

Shaun