_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Help Request: Spray Booth Coursework
mark17h
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 12 Posts
KitMaker Network: 12 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2008 - 04:49 AM UTC
Hi,
My name’s Mark and I’ve joined Kitmaker with basically a plea for help: I’m 17 and just about to start my final A-Level year in school, with one of my subjects being Design & Technology. As a really basic introduction to Design and Technology coursework for those who are unaware, we are able to build anything we want (within reason), trying to develop a feasible ‘product’ in the same way a normal company might. For my coursework this year, I’m aiming to build something that will help me enormously with my modelling; a spray booth. I have looked at some of the commercially available spray booths and have been shocked at the price (far too much for a teenager to afford). I am therefore going to try and build a small-ish (my modelling space is limited) and relatively affordable spray booth.

Another thing noticeable about most spray booths is the total domination of function over form; why, when the models we produce are so focused towards form and style is the environment in which we create these models so devoid of this? Hopefully, I would like to make a booth that looks a little more unusual and eye-catching than the other commercially available booths, which are very unimaginative and plain.

For my D&T Coursework I have to produce a whole portfolio detailing the whole life-cycle development of my ‘product’; from concept through design, planning, manufacture and testing. One of the major components of this is a ‘client’, who will have some sort of expertise in the field the product is aimed at. I then have to communicate regularly with this ‘client’; so they can pass on advice and help develop the product. My aim in joining this forum is so that I can pose these questions to more than one person and hopefully receive advice that is more representative of a wider modelling community. I also believe, having read a few of the existing threads about spray-booths (and a lot of other unrelated topics) that the vast amounts of knowledge contained within this forum would help me massively with my coursework.

As an aside, for my GCSE coursework, I also made something related to my modelling; a sort of organiser/storage thingy:

I don’t have a permanent modelling area, so it hinges down the middle so I can store paints and stuff safely (btw, the photo was taken for my D&T coursework; my modelling area has never been that clean or organised. ever.)

As a first step, I’ve put together a questionnaire (it’s on my specification; I have to), which hopefully will be really quick and easy to answer, and not take up too much time. At the suggestion of one of my teachers, I’m going to offer a small prize (I’m assuming this sort of thing isn’t banned – if it is please say so and I’ll edit it out; I haven’t found anything that suggests it isn’t allowed) to a random person who answers the questionnaire. The prize is going to be a bundle of 20 3ml disposable pipettes; I bought a load of eBay a while ago and they have proved amazingly useful; great for measuring accurate amounts of paint, and much easier to clean than a syringe. Unfortunately, this offer is only open to UK residents; the postage to overseas is going to be a bit excessive. Might not sound like much, but a) I’m a teenager and b) you’d be surprised how long you can make them last, and how useful they actually are.

Here’s the questionnaire in original form:

And a sort of answer-form to make it quicker for you; just copy and paste what’s below and delete where necessary:

1) Do you have a need for a spray booth where you can safely work whilst fumes or excess particulates are removed?

Yes
No

2) Do you already own such a product?

Yes; are you satisfied with it?
Yes
Mostly
No

No

3) How often would you use a spray booth?

Every Day
Once or twice a week
Several times a month
Very occasionally

4) How large a working area would you require on a spray booth?

Very small; between 10 and 20 cm square; better suited to smaller scale models
Enough to comfortably fit one 1/35 AFV or 1/24 car; around 30cm or 1 foot square
Large; more than 50cm square; can easily accommodate larger scale projects

5) What sort of materials would you prefer the booth was constructed out of; and therefore what sort of finish would you prefer? (Please leave more than one option if necessary).

Wood
Metal
Plastic
Other:

A stylistic, appealing finish
A bright, eye-catching finish
A restrained, moderate finish

6) In addition to its main role, would you require any other features, such as storage or an airbrush holder, for example? (Please leave more than one option if necessary).

A small amount of general storage
A large amount of storage
An airbrush holder
A light/clear lid
One or more electric plug sockets
Other:

No extra features at all

7) How much would you be willing to pay for a spray booth that features all the options you highlighted in the past few questions?

Less than £50
£50 to £100
£100+

8) Are there any other comments you would like to add?

Thanks for taking the time to have a look, and any help, however big or small will be hugely appreciated. Thank-you.

Cheers; sorry for the long post,
Mark
Savage
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2008 - 08:26 AM UTC
Hi mark, don't worry about the prize someone actually trying to build one of these as an assignment is reward enough.

1) Do you have a need for a spray booth where you can safely work whilst fumes or excess particulates are removed?

Yes

Yes; are you satisfied with it? Mostly

Once or twice a week

Enough to comfortably fit one 1/35 AFV or 1/24 car; around 30cm or 1 foot square

5) What sort of materials would you prefer the booth was constructed out of; and therefore what sort of finish would you prefer? (Please leave more than one option if necessary).

Plastic

Other: A stylistic, appealing finish

6) In addition to its main role, would you require any other features, such as storage or an airbrush holder, for example? (Please leave more than one option if necessary).

An airbrush holder
A light/clear lid

7) How much would you be willing to pay for a spray booth that features all the options you highlighted in the past few questions?

£50 to £100

Where the average cost of a spraybooth is in the £200+ region it would be nice to find something below £50 regardless of features.

Hope this helps
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,770 Posts
KitMaker Network: 747 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2008 - 09:45 AM UTC
Hey Mark,

I'll try to give you a hand here:

Yes

Yes

Several times a month

Wood
Metal
Plastic

An airbrush holder
A light

£50 to £100

Personally, I'm not to concerned how it looks. With that mind you, if it looks like someone pulled it out of a dump, well then..... Not to mention, it IS a spray booth and will get "dirty."

If you go here you'll see some pictures of the booth I built.

Mike
D_J_W
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
entire network: 436 Posts
KitMaker Network: 64 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2008 - 03:52 PM UTC
Hi Mark:

Hopefully I can be of some help.

Yes

Mostly

Several times a month

Metal

An airbrush holder
A light
Two electric plug sockets

£50 to £100

A kit set type construction would be helpful for freight purposes and getting it pass SWMBO

cheers
David
Phantom2
Visit this Community
Östergötland, Sweden
entire network: 708 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 03:43 AM UTC
Hi Mark!

I´m very happy to see there´s a future in our hobby, and that´s a great reward for me!

Here´s my answers;

Yes

Yes
are you satisfied with it?
Yes

Once or twice a week

Wood
Metal

Other: A restrained, moderate finish

An airbrush holder

Other; a good built-in light

£50 to £100

I built my own spray-booth (60x60x50cm) using wooden shelves from a IKEA-shelfsystem (IVAR), and added a kitchen fan (with built-in lights) on top, connected to an airvent by a large hose.
All in all this booth cost me about £70!
I don´t really care about the looks as a spraybooth will get really dirty.
Most important thing for me is that it is durable and easy to clean-up after "accidents", and painting!

Here´s a pic of my booth (when it was new and pristine, two years ago!), the air hose is not yet connected but you can see the vent behind the Ju-87 on the top shelf!

Good luck with your assignment!

Cheers!

Stefan E
rct75001
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 03:45 PM UTC
And a sort of answer-form to make it quicker for you; just copy and paste what’s below and delete where necessary:

Yes

No

Several times a month

Wood

An airbrush holder
A light/clear lid

£50 to £100

No - good lukc
mark17h
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 12:01 AM UTC
Thanks for all the help guys, it's hugely appreciated
dobon68
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 392 Posts
KitMaker Network: 21 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2008 - 01:17 AM UTC
Mark,
I wish you well in your project and here are my answers.
Cheers
David

Yes

No

Several times a month

Metal
Plastic

An airbrush holder
A light/clear lid

£100+

A booth that could fold up for storage when not in use
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2008 - 04:27 AM UTC

Yes

Mostly

Several times a month

Other: combination as needed to keep cost down and still be safe.......

An airbrush holder
A light/clear lid

£50-100
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 12:21 AM UTC

Yes

No

Several times a month

around 30cm or 1 foot square

Wood
Plastic

No extra features at all

£50 to £100

A booth that could fold up for storage when not in use
lespauljames
Visit this Community
entire network: 3,661 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 11:24 AM UTC
hi Mark, im also in the south west!!!
well here we go

Yes

No

Once or twice a week

Metal

An airbrush holder

£50 to £100

hope this helps

James

CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 12:14 PM UTC
Good luck with this task you have set yourself.

Yes

No

Once or twice a week

Wood
Metal
Plastic

An airbrush holder
A light

Other: A collapsible box would be most useful due to limited space when not in use, also ease of collapse and re-assembly would need to be quick, easy, and not easily damaged.

£50 to £100

zemzero
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 177 Posts
KitMaker Network: 38 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 01:51 PM UTC

Yes

No

Once or twice a week

Metal

A small amount of general storage (For paint/thinner jars, hand brushes, etc.)
An airbrush holder (Always very useful)
A light/clear lid (When the model is drying a lid will keep dust from falling on the model)
One or more electric plug sockets (For a light)

£50 to £100

Perhaps a place to slide an air filter into would be beneficial, as well as an optional fan unit?
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 07:17 PM UTC
Hi There Mark,
i like what u plan to do. Basically i was preparing an article abut designing my own booth with the use of easily available materials.. so far i havent done anything yet...
anyway, i may suggest you can refer to the book below
Industrial Ventilation - A Manual of Recommended Practice for Design - Published by ACGIH. I dont know whether your library in school have it but it's a good book if you know some basic of fluid mechanics....

anyway, here's my input

Yes

No

Very occasionally

Metal

A light/clear lid

Less than £50

no
mark17h
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 10:06 PM UTC
First, thankyou to everyone, this is unbelievably helpful

Silantra, a quick scour of the internet gives the cheapest price in the UK as £167 from Amazon

I've seen a couple of cheaper alternatives I'll look into if I don't find it in any libraries; being such a specialist book, I doubt I'll find anything like it though. (I'm away for a day or two, so I'll have a proper look some time later)

Cheers everyone
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 02:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

First, thankyou to everyone, this is unbelievably helpful

Silantra, a quick scour of the internet gives the cheapest price in the UK as £167 from Amazon

I've seen a couple of cheaper alternatives I'll look into if I don't find it in any libraries; being such a specialist book, I doubt I'll find anything like it though. (I'm away for a day or two, so I'll have a proper look some time later)

Cheers everyone

Wow...so expensive...
anyway you can place the order directly from the publisher..
http://www.acgih.org/store/ProductDetail.cfm?id=1905

good luck boy
montythefirst
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,055 Posts
KitMaker Network: 244 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 08, 2008 - 11:23 PM UTC

Yes

No

Several times a month

Wood
varnished

An airbrush holder
A light/clear lid

£50 to £100

good luck with the gcse's
HM2Somers
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 51 Posts
KitMaker Network: 8 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 03:10 AM UTC
Hi Mark,

I just wanted to send you a few booth links from the US and add my 2 bits.
I made a spry booth out of some clear plastic storage bins and a fan from a computer fan converted from DC to AC. My problem has always been the fan not being strong enough so spray can primer dust is all over everything near the booth. So I suggest you look into putting an exhaust fan on. They are called "Squirrel Cage Blowers" or " Shaded Pole Blower Exhaust Fans" in the US and look like the ones in this link http://www.surplussales.com/Fans-Blowers/FansBlow-1.html
or this one
http://homeharvest.com/climatecontrolexhaustfans.htm

Also, this page has some booths like I would like to purchase and may give you ideas
http://www.pacepaintbooths.com/pace/

Hope this is helpful.

Pam
Removed by original poster on 09/10/08 - 16:25:11 (GMT).
mark17h
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 05:28 AM UTC
^^ Sorry, url's didn't work

I'm massively grateful to everyone, thanks so much. Using the information you've been providing, I've started to design lots of different alternative spray-booths and at some point I'll post pictures of the designs to see what you think.

Thanks for the advice, HM2Somers, I recognised from the start that I'd need a shaded pole/brushless exhaust fan, but the problem I'm encountering is the cost of a sufficiently powerful fan here in the UK. Having trawled the internet, my best bet seems to be: this, from America (I contacted them a while ago, and my quote/price request for shipping to the UK is currently in their system). This choice is mainly based on the information and calculations derived from this great tutorial, which I recommend wholeheartedly. In comparision to the $40 265 CFM blower from the US, a similarly powerful blower in the UK costs at least £160 or $280(!). I'll also get some filters and a length of ducting, which I'll route out of a handy nearby door. On the question of filters, do people reckon a three-layers filter such as this would be sufficient or is it better to err on the side of caution and go with an activated charcoal filter? Also, how much of a reducion to the airflow do such filters give?

Cheers,
Mark
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,728 Posts
KitMaker Network: 279 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 04:20 AM UTC
Good luck Mark with your asignment.

1)Do you have a need for a spray booth where you can safely work whilst fumes or excess particulates are removed?

Yes

2)Do you already own such a product?

No

3)How often would you use a spray booth?

Several times a month

4)How large a working area would you require on a spray booth?

5)What sort of materials would you prefer the booth was constructed out of; and therefore what sort of finish would you prefer? (Please leave more than one option if necessary).

Wood
Plastic

6)In addition to its main role, would you require any other features, such as storage or an airbrush holder, for example? (Please leave more than one option if necessary).

A light/clear lid

7)How much would you be willing to pay for a spray booth that features all the options you highlighted in the past few questions?

£50 to £100

8)Are there any other comments you would like to add?

The ability to be folded away when not in use.

Ciao
Luciano
 _GOTOTOP