_GOTOBOTTOM
Network Talk
For discussions about network-wide site topics, announcments, etc.
Tomcat31
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,828 Posts
KitMaker Network: 212 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 11, 2008 - 08:34 AM UTC
I'm still getting this error with most areas of the areas of the Kitmaker Network I visit (Aeroscale, Bulldogs, Armorama) when I log in it tells me there are new posts by displaying the tick next to the relevant forum, e.g. Aeroscale's Modern (1975-Today)

But when I click in that forum there are no new posts

These screen shots were taken on 2008-08-08

I've tried this in IE6, IE7 And Firefox and they all do the same. I know that it's not my cookies being deleted when I exit the browser as I switched that option off as previously read posts aren't logged against the user account like most other forums (would be nice if it was though as I read the forums from several different PC's) So is it just me that's getting this problem or is it more wide spread

Cheers

Allen
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 2,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 424 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 11:17 PM UTC
You're not alone, I'm experiencing the same phenomenon.
Tomcat31
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 04:07 AM UTC
That's a relief i thought with no one answering it was just Camogirl and I getting the problem.
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,019 Posts
KitMaker Network: 332 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 07:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That's a relief i thought with no one answering it was just Camogirl and I getting the problem.

So what happens when you click the latest posts at the upper right of your screen? From your screen shot I know the last post in any thread will always be visible. Another thing is there is an IE setting that asks if you want to check for a new version of a web page each time you click on it. I believe if that is off, it loads the stored page image from your internet temp storage area.
Tomcat31
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 12:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So what happens when you click the latest posts at the upper right of your screen?

Surprisingly it show the latests post but I don't use this function as I prefer to look through the areas I'm interested in rather than all of the different sites.

Quoted Text

From your screen shot I know the last post in any thread will always be visible.

I realise this and that has always been the case since I joined. The bug/problem I'm trying to point out is the tick next to the forum telling you there are new posts when there isn't any.

Quoted Text

Another thing is there is an IE setting that asks if you want to check for a new version of a web page each time you click on it. I believe if that is off, it loads the stored page image from your internet temp storage area.

It's not that that's causing the problem as the settings was the first thing I checked. IE is set to automatically. I also doubt that the 5 or 6 PC's that I log onto would have the same problem.

I have requested several times if we could have the new posts linked to the users account rather than the cookies on the PC but I have never heard anything back.
redshirt
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 270 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2008 - 05:06 AM UTC
I am no techie.
However, might this be something as simple as having opened more pages since log on, then when logging off all the cookies would be on the other page. No visit on your side.

2 cents of a thought.
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,019 Posts
KitMaker Network: 332 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2008 - 09:36 PM UTC
OK- now I get what you are saying. just for my info, what version of IE are you using and what's your OS?
Tomcat31
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 07:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

However, might this be something as simple as having opened more pages since log on, then when logging off all the cookies would be on the other page. No visit on your side.

I work in IT so I've checked all the obvious. I'm doubting it's cookie related as the reply below will hopefully show

Quoted Text

just for my info, what version of IE are you using and what's your OS?

It depends My PC is running Windows XP with Firefox 3 or, when I'm at work the PC's run XP with IE6 and my fiancée's PC is XP with IE7. As it's across most most browsers (I've even tried it in opera and Safari)I think it may be a bug as it is happening in most browsers and this has been going on since the server upgrades.

I only hope Staff_Jim can fix this soon

Cheers

Allen

Tomcat31
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 07:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I work in IT so I've checked all the obvious. I'm doubting it's cookie related as the reply below will hopefully show

Quoted Text

just for my info, what version of IE are you using and what's your OS?

It depends My PC is running Windows XP with Firefox 3 or, when I'm at work the PC's run XP with IE6 and my fiancée's PC is XP with IE7. This is why I think it may be a bug as it is happening in most browsers (I've even tried it in Opera and Safari) and this has been going on since the server upgrades.

I only hope Staff_Jim can fix this soon

Cheers

Allen

_GOTOTOP