_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Health and Safety
Have a question about what is safe or an experience that might warn others?
CFC's from Airbrush and Spray Cans
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2003 - 04:03 AM UTC
I think everyone knows this. Anyways, I want to relate it to other people who don't know these. Spray cans and Airbrush produces CFC's in the atmosphere causing the ozone to thin. What I'm saying is for you guys to use bottle paints so as to prevent the ozone from thinning and to make modeling a little bit challenging. (Talk about painting the body of the F-4 Phantom 1/32 scale using a brush) Anyways its all up to you. Use a mask whenever painting and don't inhale it even when it feels good.
Bye!
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 494 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2003 - 04:13 AM UTC
Not wanting to make an enemy or anything but CFC's or Chloroflourocarbons are no longer produced and according to internatinal treaty are now banned. Airbrushes run by a compressoer never had CFC's because they used compressed air, but I think you are reffering to ones that use canned air. These, as well as spray cans, no longer use CFC's and now just use compressed air to propel the paint. I can speak only for products produced in or for the US and other members of the United Nations, which unanimously signed the non-cfc treaty.

CFC's were first designed and produced by Dupont, which then patented the design of the chemical. Any other company that produced CFC's did it under license from Dupont. In the mid 90's Dupont withdrew all licenses to produce CFC's and stopped it's own production. This is not to say that it might not be produced illegally, but most of it's production has ceased.

I will agree that a mask is approprite and to work in a well ventilated room, so as not to inhale the paint particles, especially enamel paints. Also, take a break, in between painting, don't do it straight through, break it up into smaller sessions so as to allow the vaporized particles time to settle.

Rob
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2003 - 04:20 AM UTC
I was going to go off on a huge "politics driven junk science" rant but I thought better of it. I will say this: I keep hearing how we are "killing the planet." I don't think that's true. We may eventually screw it up so bad that humans can't live on it anymore but I don't think you would ever kill off every roach. Them suckers are HARDY #:-)
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2003 - 04:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I was going to go off on a huge "politics driven junk science" rant but I thought better of it. I will say this: I keep hearing how we are "killing the planet." I don't think that's true. We may eventually screw it up so bad that humans can't live on it anymore but I don't think you would ever kill off every roach. Them suckers are HARDY #:-)

LOL, can't agree more!!!!!

Feel kind bad today though, my dog stepped on 3 (THREE) lil' grass, might killed them....
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2003 - 04:46 AM UTC
hummm

I just checked every spary can that have and don't use anymore because I now have a compressor and airbrush, all my paints and glues and still not being satisfied I just checked every can in the house from my wife's hairspray, to the can of pledge funiture polish she never uses.... and I can't find a darn CFC anywheres.. so where are they hiding............

by the way do yall realize that by putting a hole in the ozone we "Broke the Sky".
 _GOTOTOP