_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Need tips on chroming a Terminator
Glue_Huffer
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 63 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 05:59 PM UTC
So I'm just about to start building a resin model of the Terminator forearm as seen in Terminator 2. I'm curious as to what you guys would recommend as the best way to get a great mirror-finish chrome job on it.

My initial research seems a lot of people really like Alclad 2 for chrome work. I'm certainly open to that option, but all of the pics I've seen of Alclad-coated pieces show it to be just short of a real mirror finish, and closeups seem to show a grain in it. If I'm wrong on this and anyone has some pics of Alclad providing a super-shiny, mirror smooth chromed surface, I'd love to see it.

The other option I've been thinking of is some form of actual electro-plating or vacuum metalizing. I'm not overly familiar with those processes, and I don't even know if they would work on a resin model. If anyone has any experience with this, again, I'd love to hear details.

Lastly, if I did go the Alclad route, I'd need to pay someone do it. I'm only a part-time hobbyist and don't have an airbrush. What should I expect to pay for this sort of painting service? The model is the size of an actual human forearm and would only need a primer, black undercoat, and then the Alclad. No real weathering would be needed as the movie version was polished up clean.

This is basically what I'm looking for in a finish:

mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 06:38 PM UTC
You can also look into using Bare Metal Foil, it comes in many finishes. I'd use the chrome foil. It's easy to use, it's super thin...peel and stick. If you make a mistake or don't like the finish just peel off to start over or move onto another finishing product. I've used Bare Metal Foil many time for my auto models for bumper, trim and such.

Foil

Here's a plane that had the foil applied to...

Hope this helps some.

Joe
Glue_Huffer
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 07:03 PM UTC
I'd considered that, but the amount of small details, small interior areas, and cutouts, foil seemed like recipe for going mad. Large parts of the arm wouldn't be that bad, but I can't imagine trying to do the hands with foil.
calvin2000
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 886 Posts
KitMaker Network: 174 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2008 - 01:36 AM UTC
I was going to say the foil also. but you make a good point on going mad.. How about real chrome from a place that redoes bumpers and the like. Its really not that expensive when I had a bumper redone but I don't really know now.
Good Luck
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2008 - 03:10 AM UTC
I think BMF will not suite a figure as you mentioned.

I have never used Alclad so sorry if my suggestions duplicates it.

I would look at the 'buffable'/'polishable' metalic paints. Also investigate automotive types of paint.
NebLWeffah
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 1,683 Posts
KitMaker Network: 284 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2008 - 03:48 AM UTC
I know it's possible to have parts 'chromed' by a professional car/body shops that specialize in this. I've heard of this being done before for model parts. It's actual chrome and is done in the same method as chroming for car parts.

I have no sources or places to refer you to, just the knowledge that this can be done. Perhaps some of the car modellers out there can help? Failing that, if you were to ask your local garage or repair shop as to who in your local area does re-chroming, or at least who or how to ship parts out to have this done.

Bob
Snowhand
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 1,066 Posts
KitMaker Network: 324 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2008 - 08:53 AM UTC
If I was going to do that professionally, I'd probably have it nickelplated instead of chrome plated.

I definately would suggest Alclad first. Some achieve brilliant results with it.
Glue_Huffer
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2008 - 01:35 PM UTC
Thanks for the replies guys!

I have been looking into actual chrome on the model, but I wasn't sure if it was possible. Standard chrome/nickel electroplating is done on metal parts. The item itself acts as part of a circuit to draw the nickel/chrome onto it. Obviously this wouldn't work with something made out of resin. If there is some way of putting true chrome or nickel on non-metal parts, I've yet to see any company advertise it.

The other option would be vacuum metalizing, which is a process for putting a chrome-like surface on any object (like any cheap action figure from the 80's). This is a viable option, but I've emailed over 20 places that do this work and none have responded after several days. Either they don't do one-offs, or they think I'm some nutter trying to get an arm skeleton chromed.

So far I've been contacting a few modelers who do commission work. Some have responded and say they could do the Alclad work, so I'll probably go that route anyway. And speaking of commission work, anyone know of any fellow forums users here that do commission work for this sort of thing? Doubly so if they're here in Canada!
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2008 - 05:14 PM UTC
You could send the parts here:
Chrome Tech USA
Glue_Huffer
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 10:13 AM UTC
Well, I got one response from a Vac-Metalizing company. Sounds like this isn't the process to use. The owner says resin outgasses quite a bit when put in a vacuum. All the resin pieces he's tried in the past have had a poor finish as the outgassing left small bubbles under the surface, giving it an "orange peel" look to it.
 _GOTOTOP