_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
What car to start With
captfue
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 785 Posts
KitMaker Network: 210 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 04:50 AM UTC
I've just register my grandson on automodler, (TFpyro) ,He is 15 years old and has never built a kit. I was woundering what would be a good car kit to start with?
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 05:12 AM UTC
I would steer him away from NASCAR kits, since they are a little more involved with the roll cages and interiors. Direct him towards one of the multitudes of car kits offered by Revell-Monogram or AMT/Ertl that build into a good representation of an actual vehicle he is interested in. For instance, if he likes Jeeps or Mustangs, find a good kit (normally under $10) pf one of these cars and get some paint in a color he likes.
captfue
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 785 Posts
KitMaker Network: 210 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 06:01 AM UTC
Sobat: this is TFpyro (another user) and i will take your suggestions to heart when starting on my first model.

thanks for your answer
Snowhand
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 1,066 Posts
KitMaker Network: 324 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 07:08 AM UTC
Revell of Germany has some good kits to start with, and they are reasonably cheap aswell. Their Ford Mustang (new), Audi R8, Chevrolet Corvette and Dodge SRT10 are gems in their own right.

Next option is to go for either Tamiya or Fujimi. Both turn out curbside models most of the time now, but they are good kits (I'd rate Tamiya higher than Fujimi in that respect).

And.. just to practice doing bodywork: I'd go with some old 1/43 Heller or Airfix kits.. they're dirt cheap and not a big waste if something does go wrong.

Good luck, and please show the results of his work here
 _GOTOTOP