_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Looking for a good, small metal brake
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,019 Posts
KitMaker Network: 332 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 11:05 PM UTC
I have been looking for a good quality, small - 6" to 15" across - metal brake. I would prefer one that looks like its larger bretheren. I had a chance to buy a really neat older one from work but a coworker bought it out from under me, something I will be ticked off about until I find another since he knew I wanted it and nobody else did.

Most of those I have seen are 36" across for the smallest ones which is a bit of overkill for no more than what I want to do. Others are either vise jaws or some manner of clamp with a bending arm, many of which are limited on the size of what they can handle. I would pay up to a couple hundred bucks, give or take for one. I would have no problems buying a used one in good condition.

Any referrals would be most appreciated.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 6,705 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,084 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 11:27 PM UTC
Hi Jim!
Check out Micro-mark, mate (if you haven't already!), under the "Vises, Anvils, Punches, Benders" heading in the menu...they have some good stuff at various prices, depending on the size/gauge material that you are working in...McMaster-Carr has some larger ones (18" up to 40") also, under "Die Sets & Sheet Metal Benders"...
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 01:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jim!
Check out Micro-mark, mate (if you haven't already!), under the "Vises, Anvils, Punches, Benders" heading in the menu...they have some good stuff at various prices, depending on the size/gauge material that you are working in...McMaster-Carr has some larger ones (18" up to 40") also, under "Die Sets & Sheet Metal Benders"...

Hi Gunny! I just got the new MicroMark catalog and am looking hard at the shear/bender combo. It's priced right. The smaller brakes I have seen all use C clamps to pinch what is being bent in place. I don't care for that as it seems things can move too easily in tightening them down. I will check out McMaster - Carr especially since they have a store here in town.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 03:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Jim!

Hi Gunny! I just got the new MicroMark catalog and am looking hard at the shear/bender combo. It's priced right. The smaller brakes I have seen all use C clamps to pinch what is being bent in place. I don't care for that as it seems things can move too easily in tightening them down. I will check out McMaster - Carr especially since they have a store here in town.

oooohhh...If there was a Mcmaster store in my home town, I would be in big trouble (along with my bank account, credit cards, etc, etc.....

Let me know how you make out, and which one you go for...and we could use a decent review on anything that you may choose, mate, if you're up for the task!

Cheers,
~Gunny
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 08:50 PM UTC
originally they were corporate accounts only but now walk ins are welcome. i'm a bit of a tool junkie myself.
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 09:45 AM UTC
I ordered the brake/shear combo from MicroMark plus an extra set of shear blades. (items #83213 brake/shear, #83124 & #83215 for the extra cutters) The total was $242 including the extra shipping charges of $22 for heavy items. All told I saved about $50.00 with the sale prices. If it turns out to be a decent piece of gear the loss of the original metal brake bought out from under me may not be so bad considering this one includes a shear.

I'll attempt to write a review after I get it and use it a bit. Since I plan to use it primarily for brass I likely won't do anything with circuit board material it's capable of cutting unless someone wants to donate some. Hopefully by then I will have located the @4?%!*8% battery charger for my camera!

If anybody wants any particular type of test please don't hesitate to ask and provide a description of what you want done. As long as it's within the stated parameters of the tool I'll gladly try it. I have a very complete variety of precision measuring instruments to verify about anything. PM me with requests and descriptions.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 10:32 AM UTC
Sounds like a decent deal, Jim, especially for a brake/shear combination...let us know how you make out!
~Gunny
 _GOTOTOP