Militaria Forum
For discussions on a range of topics like reenacting, vehicle restoration, and collecting.
Unidentified ammo crate, help me please.
guygantic
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 7,084 Posts
KitMaker Network: 21 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 10:12 PM UTC
Hello friends, I got this wooden ammo crate of a good friend of mine. It was found in the house of his parents (farm house).
This is how it looks :

Front (ATS, RED HOT, 17 in green circle...)

Sides (canvas handles)

Back (yellow square in the middle)

As you can see, it's not complete, but I'm so curious !!! It's 100 % WWII but that is all I know.

Help me, I salute you, Guy
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2008 - 01:28 AM UTC
Looks like a standard wooden shipping crate to me. They are still used by the military today. It isn't necessarily an ammo crate at all. All sorts of parts and fragile items are shipped in them. The markings could be all sorts of things. The markings are not any type standard markings either. Looks like various shipping codes to me. Sorry, but it is just an old shipping crate.
guygantic
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 7,084 Posts
KitMaker Network: 21 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 05:11 AM UTC
Ok, I asked the same question somewhere else (WW2 militaria forum) and it appears to be an English ammo box. G.
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,019 Posts
KitMaker Network: 332 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 11:52 AM UTC
Hi. I live just a little south of an military base that was quite active during WWII and 2 airfields, one in town here and another about 20 miles away that were also major training centers during the war. Unused ammo boxes were so common and plentiful around here that in the late 1949s and 1950s people actually built houses out of them. Many never held any ammunition, but held tools, parts and more. Manufacturing companies bought thousands of these things to use as shipping containers for all manner of products. I assume the same happened everywhere else as well.