_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Sharp knives
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 11:51 PM UTC
When I work in the kitchen, I always make sure my knives are well sharpened. Yet for modeling, I throw away my x-acto and insert a new blade.
Does anyone use a stone to sharpen the blades ? What are pros and cons ? I'd like to share some of your experience with that.
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 12:09 AM UTC
Sometimes I sharp the blades using the lower part of a mug where the ceramic is not covered by the enamel. It works quite well and I cannot see any cons, apart the fights with my wife when I do it. She thinks I'll ruin the mugs. Anyway after a while you''ll have to replace the blade anyway...
Ciao
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 6,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,013 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 12:13 AM UTC
I dont know acto blades can be sharpened and never tried to sharpen my used blades, I always insert a new blade.I also use surgical blades,I tried and learned they can not be sharpened.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 12:54 AM UTC
I have a Whetstone that I use for my pocket knives. I also use it to sharpen my general purpose X-Acto blade on occasion. I do maintain a new blade in my fancy X-Acto handle (rubber coated and doesn't roll).
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 02:55 AM UTC
I've been contemplating this too.
I've seen an exacto sharpening jig w/ stone in Micromarx catalog. Got me thinking about it.

I think I'm going to go soccia and sabot combo deal - mug sharpen the general purpose guys and keep a newone in my better handle!.

Thanks everyone.
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 08:15 AM UTC
I use a whetstone....works perfect for me. I also use a tool the butchers use...sorry that I don't know the English word, but over here we call it a "aanzetstaal". It's a large pin with a rough surface. This tools sharpens the little knives very easily, makes them sharp as h... and you always have a straight cutting surface.

Just two Eurocents

Danny
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 1,958 Posts
KitMaker Network: 720 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 09:47 AM UTC
hi all!
I also use surgical blades and I just replace it for a new one when it´s dull.
They´re cheap, so just replace it...
cheers
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1,318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 10:49 AM UTC
I use scapel blades that I get from the hospital. A #11 scapel fits my X-acto handle perfectly. They stay sharp a really long time, so I never sharpen them. I only change them when I break the tip off.

Patrick
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2003 - 07:18 AM UTC
:-) I use scalpel blades, I was given a couple of boxes about 15 years ago and still have some left. I used to just change them but when I actually saw them getting fewer in number I looked at ways of sharpening them. I have worked in the laser industry, one of the materials we cut was ceramic tiles (20 thou) used in eletronics. This material makes an excellant sharpening stone :-) I guess the bottom of a mug would come close :-)
Mal
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2003 - 08:40 AM UTC
Another option could be to get into a fishing tacle shop and buy a small pen-shaper stone that's used to sharpen the fishing hooks. I just found one in my fishing eqp, I gave it a try and I have to say that it works. They reccomend to use it wet...
Ciao
 _GOTOTOP