TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Getting a PS3
Warsawpact
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
entire network: 321 Posts
KitMaker Network: 38 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 01:48 AM UTC
Hi everyone.

The thing is that my 360 has broken down AGAIN....for the second time, and i´ve had it whit that cr*p console.
So i´ve sold all my 360 games and i´m now looking to buy a PS3.

But i´m a bit confused about what version to get.
According to wikipedia there's 3 versions, 40,60,80, out there but each version has it's own percs. Such as backward compability whit PS2 games on the 60gb but not on the 80gb .

So, do we have any PS3 owners here on armorama?

There are some basic questions i would like to get answered:
Which version do you have? Can i surf the net whit a PS3? Do i need to download updates to every game like whit the 360? Is the playstation network service free?

Thanks in advance /

warsawpact

Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 02:16 AM UTC
I just bought an 80gb PS3 at the PX. It does mention on the box that there is limited PS2 backwards compatibility with games and software. That didn't matter to me since I was starting from scratch and just bought some PS3 games (the kids love the Cars game Mater-National). My consol came with the game, Metal Gear Solid 4. I played it once. It is a rather intense game that sort of plays like a movie. My system cost $469.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 03:37 AM UTC
I bought the 40 g last Sunday, mainly for the Blu Ray player. "I am Legend" on Blu Ray rocked.
Didn't come with a game, which sorta irked me. Yes, you can surf the web with. Set up the Wi Fi yesterday and was on Armorama in no time. Need suggestions for a good game. Rented Call of Duty 3 which was okay.

Shaun
acav
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 183 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 10:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Need suggestions for a good game.

Try 'Resistance: Fall of Man' - great retro setting (alternative 1950's UK), lots of cool weapons, alien hordes, tricky bosses, brilliant storyline, genuinely creepy moments, awesome team play (I played two player with my 17yo nephew, excellent bonding session)...
I've played it through about five times and never got tired of it.

HTH
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 03:35 AM UTC
Thanks ACAV.
Picked up "Resistance: Fall of Man," "Call of Duty 3," "Blazing Angels," and "Lost" (for the wife)
on Ebay yesterday for right at $100 total. I guess Ebay is the way to go as far as buying PS3 games.
(Resistance was $58 at Wal Mart yesterday morning.

Shaun
Warsawpact
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, July 28, 2008 - 10:12 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies guys!

Aug 27 is now the officiall "re"-release date for the 80gb PS3 so i'll get it the same day...and according to Sony it will get a price reduction too, in order to boost the PS3's slow sell rate.
399 Euros !

And since i'm a big fan of the Metal Gear Series i just have to pick up the last and latest MGS4 along whit Resistance.
Cant wait unitll Christmas when Resistance 2 is supposed to come out...and it looks great. Although i guess i'll have to wait forever to get my hands on Killzone 2

Regards /
Eismann
Visit this Community
Ireland
entire network: 30 Posts
KitMaker Network: 10 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 09:08 PM UTC
There is going to be a 160GB PS3 later this year, novemberish and it's supposed to retail for €449. Maybe it's worth waiting for that one?
Warsawpact
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2008 - 02:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

There is going to be a 160GB PS3 later this year, novemberish and it's supposed to retail for €449. Maybe it's worth waiting for that one?

Yeah, that's what i first thought of doing.....untill i heard that there's a SATA 2.5" harddrive in the PS3.
That meens that you can walk into any major electronics store and get a 256 GB SATA 2.5 HDD for quite a resonable price. So i think i'll get a unsold 40gb at a electronics store that just lowered the price for the 40gb due to the new 80gbs and simply install a Samsung 256 gb or even a 340 gbHDD into it

SIRNEIL
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 658 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2008 - 03:12 AM UTC
hi christian

i bought a ps3 on it's release day way over a year ago now and it is a stunning machine. but it seems to me that the main problem that its got is every one that doesnt have one just seems to think that it just plays games wich it does very well but it also does a lot more.
1. games
2. internet
3. blue ray films
4. photographic pictures
5. video
6. music
you can use the usb's on the front of the console for extra plug in's like the sony eye camera. you can also down load film trailers and games/demos off of the sony ps3 store.
the reason that sony used a removeable hard drive was so that in the future you will be able to buy films from the playstation store and download them to your hard drive all in glorious high-def and so keep your films on one hard drive and games,pictures etc on another.
the ps3 was always intended to be a media hub veiwed through your very expensive hd tv.

all the best
neil
and no i don't work for sony!!!!!!!
Warsawpact
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2008 - 03:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

hi christian

i bought a ps3 on it's release day way over a year ago now and it is a stunning machine. but it seems to me that the main problem that its got is every one that doesnt have one just seems to think that it just plays games wich it does very well but it also does a lot more.
1. games
2. internet
3. blue ray films
4. photographic pictures
5. video
6. music
you can use the usb's on the front of the console for extra plug in's like the sony eye camera. you can also down load film trailers and games/demos off of the sony ps3 store.
the reason that sony used a removeable hard drive was so that in the future you will be able to buy films from the playstation store and download them to your hard drive all in glorious high-def and so keep your films on one hard drive and games,pictures etc on another.
the ps3 was always intended to be a media hub veiwed through your very expensive hd tv.

all the best
neil
and no i don't work for sony!!!!!!!

Thanks for the info Neil.

I got some extra questions though:
1. Is it possible to somehow record your in-game gameplay somehow whit the PS3 ?
2. Does a PS3 work on standard, non HD, flat screens ( good old AV output) ?
3. Is there some form of software in the pipeline that will make ALL ps3's somewhat backward compatible, just like the 360?
4. What kind of internet browser is there in the PS3.? I sure as hell can't be Windows based ;P

SIRNEIL
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 658 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2008 - 04:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I got some extra questions though:
1. Is it possible to somehow record your in-game gameplay somehow whit the PS3 ?
2. Does a PS3 work on standard, non HD, flat screens ( good old AV output) ?
3. Is there some form of software in the pipeline that will make ALL ps3's somewhat backward compatible, just like the 360?
4. What kind of internet browser is there in the PS3.? I sure as hell can't be Windows based ;P

1. sorry i am not to sure.
2. yes it will be fine on a normal tv but in high def the games look stunning.
3. the first ps3's (60gb) were backwards compatible but they soon removed this feature so i doub't it.
4. it's sonys own browser although its not as good as windows it does get better as sony release more updates for it.

did you know that the average age of a ps3 owner is 44 yrs.
neil
Warsawpact
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2008 - 05:41 AM UTC
Danke Schön Herr Neil

Is that your gaming set-up?

I'm going to get mine as soon as possible, preferably whit MGS4 at the same time.
44 years you say, eh ?! Probably becuse of the pricing, no mere teen can afford a PS3.
Can't wait to get my grubby hands on that Dual Shock 3 controll,which fitts much more nicely in ones hands than the 360 controller.

Is it just me or are more and more people switching to the PS3 from their 360... just as i am?
I cant remember how many times my 360 has frozen and i've gotten the red ring of death 3 times so far and have had to send it of on repair to Germany.
And all the obnoctious / screaming young teenagers that's started to invade xbox live.......i'm switching to Sony bad boy for sure!

Thanks for the info once again Neil. Guess i'll see ya around online soon
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2008 - 09:01 AM UTC
That's funny, I bought my first consol for myself (kids didn't ask for the PS3) and I am 44!

I really wanted a Blu-Ray player, but couldn't see paying that much money for what was basically a high-end DVD player. The person who plays the PS3 the most is my 14 yr old daughter. She loves Rock Band and Guitar Hero III (which cannot use the same guitar controller).
Warsawpact
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 10:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

She loves Rock Band and Guitar Hero III (which cannot use the same guitar controller).

Arent those supposed to be compatible as Microsoft and Sony always keeps on bragging about it??
Warsawpact
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2008 - 10:36 AM UTC
IT'S DONE....i finally got myself a PS3!

I got if for 3800 Swedish Kroner , that's about 315 British pounds, along whit Metal Gear Solid 4 and Uncharted.
Althought i thought that there would be a noticable differance in graphics between the 360 and the PS3 but not this much, the ps3 beets the 360 by several lightyears!

Just ordered a 340 gb HDD to replace the 40 gb Hdd that came in the PS3 as well as some games!

My PSN-ID: Kommendant

Hope i'll see ya around on the PS network

Best regards /

Warsawpact