_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Tamiya X-21 flat base acrylic paint
UNITEDSTATESNAVY
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
entire network: 243 Posts
KitMaker Network: 67 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 10:46 AM UTC
have had a few bottles around for awhile and have not used them, confused about terminology on this item, labeled flat base....huh? I have been useing model master 4636 flat clear acryl with good results. Is the tamiyaX-21 a clear coat or a base for what?
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 11:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

have had a few bottles around for awhile and have not used them, confused about terminology on this item, labeled flat base....huh? I have been useing model master 4636 flat clear acryl with good results. Is the tamiyaX-21 a clear coat or a base for what?

Best use is a paperweight. Unopened. There is almost a monthly thread somewhere of a model ruined because of the poor labeling on this product. The directions for this are identical to the directions for regular Tamiya paint. You are expected to intuitively know to mix it with gloss paint or gloss clear to get a clear flat. Used alone, it will turn your model milky white. Improper mixing with will result in too glossy or too flat a finish. Stick with what you're using and toss that stuff.
UNITEDSTATESNAVY
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 12:13 PM UTC
thanks for the tip I was seriously considering using the "base" tommorow on my raiden jack, guess the stuff is to use on the odd color one would need to convert to a flat finish, thanks for saving me the grief of this extensive project
tkdfighter
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 52 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 05:27 PM UTC
I mix it with future floor polish to get a flat finish so far I haven't had a problem
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 06:05 PM UTC
Works wonderfully with acrylics when wanting a dusty looks for ones' groundwork. Haven't had any problems with it yet. Like any matte agent or varnish is will leave white splotches if not mixed properly or used too thickly...

Rudi
andyelbac
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 65 Posts
KitMaker Network: 7 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 01:41 AM UTC
I use Tamiya flat base with Klear at a ratio of 1:4.5 Base to Klear, + a small drop of tamiya thinners. It gives me a really nice finish and never had any problems. You do need to make sure it is well mixed though.
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 2,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 424 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 03:31 AM UTC
Also, keep in mind that the more flat base you have in the mixture, the more easily it forms white haze if allowed to pool in or when heavier coats are used.
1 part flat base to (about) 5 parts future/klear/johnson floor polish makes a nice satin coat that can be hand-brushed without fear of white marks.
If you want a really flat finish, it's best airbrushed, applied in several thin coats.
FSM had an article about future and it's applications a few years ago and they told the ratio of 1 part flat base to 3 parts future makes a "dead flat" coat, but that's such a rich mixture it's tricky to lay down without getting a white haze in the finish.
UNITEDSTATESNAVY
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2008 - 11:41 AM UTC
Useful if somewhat confusing paint will let it sit and use model master clear acryl for now, will try this base sooner or later..thanks so much all of you.
 _GOTOTOP