_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Logo question
Wolfe
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 173 Posts
KitMaker Network: 71 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 01:48 AM UTC
Over in the Dioramas section, I have posted a sheet of printable OIF related items (cases of water, energy drinks, MRE and food pouches) for all to use.

A question for Legal types of people here, what restrictions (fees I would have to pay, useage of the logo) by the logo owners would I face in charging a very reasonalbe (read nominal) fee for my printable sheets while using well known brand logos in my sets??

TIA

Jim
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 02:20 AM UTC
Ola Jim

I would advice you to first send an Email to the owners of the logo/Company and ask if it is ok that you use their logo's in your Printables. Here in Holland we have the saying "Yes! you have, no you can get" Which means you always can ask first. I know a Dutch company making printables of Vietnam stuff and he asked and got permission to use them. I have no clue if he pays any fee but I think asking the owners would be the first reasonable step.
Wolfe
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 173 Posts
KitMaker Network: 71 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 02:48 AM UTC
FAUST,

Thanks for the quick reply, I think I might start sending out a few e-mails to the logo owners once I start charging for the sets.

Jim
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,019 Posts
KitMaker Network: 332 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 05:56 AM UTC
post back and let us know the responses you get and what fees, royalties, etc. any might ask for. i have always been curious about this. i especially wondered about the sponsor decals that come with race car models. i kinda thought it was OK because it was like free advertising in a way. in your case you will be charging for them so would in essence be making money from their logos. again, please post back!
 _GOTOTOP