_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
NYC hobby shops
BorisS
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 144 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 03:28 AM UTC
Hi guys.
I live in NYC and it's surprisingly difficult to find a good hobby shop around here.
For such a diverse city, there's practically nothing here.
I'm curious if theres any other modelers on here from NYC and what shops you guys go to. I know about Jan's on Lexington and 90-something-ish. Great story, but his selection is honestly a bit lacking, so i want several sources for things.
I would prefer shops in Manhattan and Brooklyn. Any help?
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 05:53 AM UTC
I don't know if they have a strorefront, but Megahobby is based out of New York.
I'm guessing the rents inthe city are too high to support a small niche type operation like a hobby store.
milvehfan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,116 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,015 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 06:25 AM UTC
Hi, I 'm originally from Jersey. Do you ever cross the GW Bridge, if you do there is a hobby shop called ridgefield hobbies 5 minutes into Jersey, cross the bridge, take route 46 south to Grand ave exit, they used to have a real good selection of kits. Search on line for an address or phone #. Give it a try if you get across the bridge. Its been a few years since I've been there, but I here the store is still there. Good Luck in your search. milvehfan
BorisS
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 12:44 PM UTC
Al LaFleche: I was aware of that. I did a google map on them, it gave me a location somewhere in Queens, pretty far from any subways. I don't have a car yet so I can't really get there. That's why I'm looking for something in Brooklyn or the city. Or atleast within reach of a subway.

milvehfan: Looked up their website. Seems like a really cool place, with the little coffee shop and all, but again I have no car so it's a no go.
sherb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 752 Posts
KitMaker Network: 341 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 01:47 PM UTC
I'm in NYC too. There used to be a bunch of hobby shops and military book stores in the city but those days are long gone.

Have you checked out The Red Caboose on 45th St? It's in the basement. They have a fair selection of kits though the prices are a little on the high side.

If you're up for an adventure, you can take the LIRR out to Baseline Models, 250 Little East Neck Road in West Babylon, NY 11704. (631) 376-0060. I drive out when I go but I think it's about a mile walk from the station.
A good all around military hobby shop. Always has the latest kits in stock, a decent selection of aftermarket and some nice reference materials. You can usually find some decent deals too.

For those with a car, Bayshore Hobbies , 2054 Sunrise Hwy , Bayshore, NY (631) 968-8547 has a HUGE selection of kits and aftermarket. You literally have to move stuff to see stuff. Actually, you may be able to get there on the LIRR too, if you don't mind a longer walk.

I really try to support the "local" hobby shops when I can but with gas the way it is, I just can't get out to these shops as often as I'd like. It's almost a 100 mile round trip from NYC. Anyone want to carpool? We can use the LIE HOV lane.
BorisS
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 03:57 PM UTC
Yea I hate NYC. Plan to get out of here as soon as I can.
I've been to the Red Caboose. Really tiny, cramped shop, didn't look around much. I guess I didn't notice the model section. Thought it was all just trains (thats what i was focused on back in the day.)

Thanks for all the help everyone. i guess I will just have to do it over the net. Too bad, I like going into shops and actually seeing what I get firsthand.
sherb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 752 Posts
KitMaker Network: 341 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 04:16 PM UTC
Yeah, nothing like going to the shops and chatting with like minded individuals or being able to walk out with kits in hand.

Sadly, those days will be over too soon,
BorisS
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 07:39 AM UTC
Just went to the Red Caboose today. Prices are a bit jacked up, and stock is really disorganized, but I guess it's OK as a secondary source for stuff I can't find at Jan's. That store really puts your acrobatic ability to the test though, very claustrophobic.

Still seems that most of my kit shopping will have to be done online. Not really the prices that bother me, just the selection.
calvin_ng
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,024 Posts
KitMaker Network: 270 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 10:55 AM UTC
hey uhhh, just go to tamiya usa and look it up on nyc
BorisS
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2008 - 03:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

hey uhhh, just go to tamiya usa and look it up on nyc

Heh, never thought of that. I found a few stores near-by in Brooklyn. The one closest to me didn't have much. Mostly Revell and AMT auto kits. And a handful of plane and ship kits. It's mostly a sports store.
But I'll make sure to check the others sometime.

Thanks calvin
 _GOTOTOP