_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Lucky For Some Perhaps - Not for Others
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 12:39 AM UTC
E-Bay has just been fined £30m (around $60m) for allowing fake Louis Vuitton products to be sold on their sites.

However, knock-off copies of figures and many AM products are STILL being sold on E-Bay

What a pity companies like Alpine don't have the financial power of Dior, Guerlain, Givenchy and Kenzo.

Or, more worryingly, a refusal to accept that knock-offs will damage a smaller company MORE than a mult-national like Louis Vuitton. All piracy is wrong, but it makes it pretty obvious that unless you've the power to take them to court, (a multi-million dollar undertaking) you can forget it...

I'm STILL waiting for the complaints I filed to e-bay about knock-offs...
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 6,743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 456 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 03:55 AM UTC
I for one will never use E-bay again . I was ripped off , file a complaint and still waiting to here from them . This has been a month now .
footsie
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 305 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 05:22 AM UTC
same here, i was ripped off TWICE on e-bay never again will i buy anything from anyone on there, and to be honest once on armorama, we had a guy wanting to sell some stuff at our show when we saw it was copies of other peoples work i politely told him to stop selling or leave, he left .......
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 06:27 AM UTC
Just going to ask a Devil's advocate question here: How can Ebay be held liable if someone sells counterfeit anything?

Shaun
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 06:54 AM UTC
From Sky News website:

Quoted Text

The companies said eBay knowingly let people use the site to sell fake bags, lipstick, perfumes and clothes purporting to be from the famous names.

The verdict came after a flurry of legal action against the online giant, which claims to have some 84 million active users in 39 markets worldwide.

Earlier this month, eBay was convicted by a French court of selling counterfeit goods and ordered to pay £20,000 in damages to French luxury group Hermes.

And last September, the cosmetics giant L'Oreal launched legal action against eBay in five European countries including France, over the sale of bottles of counterfeit perfume.

The key word is 'Knowingly' allowing fake items to be sold.... That was the verdict of a French court...
Anmoga
Visit this Community
Spain / España
entire network: 456 Posts
KitMaker Network: 87 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 09:18 PM UTC
For Terri and Tony,

All the things I bought on ebay came out pretty well. You have to see to who you buy. I have a few ebay sellers from whom I buy and I know that they sell originals. A guy you can trust is moon03tw. You also have shops that are located in the EU (panzershop for example).

On some places you can save more than on others but if you place an order of more than 15 hornet heads and you are able of saving around 2€ per set to a UK shop I think it is worth (in Spain they cost 10€).

Some of you guys might think that some prices from shops located in Hong-Kong are very cheap. Believe me, they are more expensive than the prices you can get in China. I´ve been living in Beijing last year and the prices are really cheap (M51 premium edition less than 17€ and the Gen2 figures set less than 6€). I have a chinese fiancee (hope to marry her soon) that is living in Beijing and she told me that the shops told her that LionRoar photoetch prices are between 1-3€ the simpler and the most expensive are less than 10€. I have to give her some references to verify this. Tamiya´s tool cost you (at least the references I asked when I lived there) less than one fourth the price you get in Spain.

What I mean with all this. Pretty simple, it is possible that some sellers sell items cheaper than at luckymodel being originals and not counterfeits. I personally prefer to buy from a trusted source when buying online (even paying more) but I am lucky and have family and friends in China and therefore can buy from a chinese shop knowing there is not going to be any problem.

Have a nice day,
Angel
 _GOTOTOP