_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Where to find thin vinyl tubing?
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 2,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 424 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 11:28 PM UTC
Hi everyone,

I would greatly appreciate any advice on where to find some thin (preferably black) vinyl tubing?
Thinking further, it wouldn't necessarily have be tubing, as long as it's flexible it's good. Around 1mm diameter would be ideal.

Some car and motorcycle kits include tubing for detailing, but where could I find the same stuff sold separately?

This tubing would go to form exhaust pipes going from a radial engine to the exhaust collector ring on my currrent Blenheim build. The kit is lacking the prominent two exhaust pipes per sylinder, which means 36 pieces to measure, bend to shape, dryfit, attach, and finally pray that the assembly fits correctly.
With flexible tubing, all you need to do is glue the tubing to the holes in the ends of the engine sylinders, measure and cut to correct lenght, close the engine cowlings and the pipes take the correct form on their own.

Thanks in advance.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 11:51 PM UTC
Check as you said Detail Masters has some.
For Model Car kits.
jaypee
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,699 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2008 - 12:30 AM UTC
Streched cotton buds work too.
https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/forums/115266&page=1
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
entire network: 3,377 Posts
KitMaker Network: 925 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2008 - 01:40 AM UTC
Old telephone cable from your old and worn out telephon. Strip it from the outer cover and inside theres a number of small cable about 0.7 - 1.0 mm -comes in more than one colour.

Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2008 - 04:12 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies.
I'll start experimenting with stretching cotton swabs and looking if I have any suitable broken electronics around that might have such tubing.
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,019 Posts
KitMaker Network: 332 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2008 - 10:22 AM UTC
Solder is another option. It comes in various diameters. I use both the electrical kind and the kind for soldering copper pipe together. With the pipe solder kind make sure you get what's called solid core, NOT acid core which has a corrosive acidic substance in the center. Most electrical solder has a flux core but I have never had any leakage or seepage from using it as fuel lines, hoses, etc. .

Wire used for what's called wire wrap comes in very small sizes and has a variety of colors. It's single solid strand and holds its shape pretty well. 30 GA is pretty versatile for use in 1/35, 1/32, 1/24 - 1/25, and 1/48 scale. It comes on a small spool and isn't very expensive. Just make sure to ask for wire wrap wire.

RE: Detail Master
While I'm sure circumstances beyond their control may enter into it, It seems every time I visit there looking for something, more often than not, they will have it but it will be out of stock. Repeated visits continue to disappoint as many items seem to stay that way. When things do get stocked it appears to be a small quantity and sells out immediately. I've sort of given up on even visiting them other than as a reference to see what's available to shop for elsewhere.
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2008 - 11:06 PM UTC
Bingo, that broken mouse's cord was a gold mine.

Not only was there just the right diameter black tubing, there's a life-time supply of thin copper strand to use for engine wiring and other detailing.

Thanks for the additional info Jim.
 _GOTOTOP