_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Interesting exhaust fan
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
entire network: 1,370 Posts
KitMaker Network: 27 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2008 - 07:45 AM UTC
Hi guys
I was looking for build articles on the Trump MI 24 Hind and saw these Japanese build videos. On this guys table he has a very small grill that is connected to an extractor, does any one know anything more about these or if they are for sale in North America?
Here's the link to the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYPXHnpRXec&feature=related
Thanks for reading.
Bill
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 11:47 PM UTC
I knew I saw it before.

"Mr Hobby Super Booth"
Available from Lucky Models:
Strange fan

HTH
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 01:57 AM UTC
Dave
You the man!
Thanks very much. I have been struggling with this exhaust issue. I read your article on that massive extraction booth you have but I think something like this "Super Booth" might be just the ticket.
Thanks for taking the time to watch the video to see what I meant.
Best to you
Bill
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 07:05 AM UTC
Neat, but I'm doing my own version. We have a placew called "americn science and surplus" near me and they sell odd overstocks and take outs...I got two brushless fans, 6 inch each, that move 112cfm each for $17.99 a piece. Couple that with a homemade back wall filter box , like the one dave showed, I'll have my own version. I'll be using a standard household air filter that's 16x25x1. I don't readily plan on external venting just yet.....
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 08:09 AM UTC
Bob
I should go check out Princess Auto here to see if they have blowers or brushless fans and build one similar to the one Dave linked me to. I wonder are these blowers furnace blowers? I like the idea of having variable suction so I could use it for slow venting or sucking the mice off the floor if need be. I'm surprised no one has designed the ultimate home made hobby fan.
Regards
Bill
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 06:27 PM UTC
Bill...you nailed it. Two fans can be a variable set up...both on{really laying paint} or just one{details or fine lines}.
I just started the frame work so that the house filter can be slid in sideways{you could do a drop in approach too}. Simple flat plywood for the whole project. Cut out the opening for the filter{just for filter surface area - not big as the filter frame} out of the wooden faceplate, then make two sides about 3" to 4" wide by your given height{determin that by the filter size you wish to use - how big are the things you'll be painting?...me, biggest would be a 1/24 semi trailer} and slot one of those for the filter to go into{finger hole on the other side to assist in old filter removal}, make a top and bottom piece as wide as the sides and as long as you need{filter size dictates this too}, and then a back plate to mount the fans to...one could put a divider in for dedicated single side/fan use for lesser/smaller painting needs if it's a big unit to begin with. You could run it open in back or shroud that for duct work and install a collar piece for the attachment of flexible tubing to out a window. I'll be adding another top and two side pieces to the front plate that will be hindged to swing in or out, like the coleman camp stoves, to help draw in air for larger or move them in for smaller projects. Make the top piece larger than the most the side skirts{as I'll call them} will swing out so it won't fall down{it'll rest on top of both side skirts}.
Yeah, it'll be built like a brick........house, but I hate to shell out near $400.00 for a nice unit.......that would really cut into my kit buying money!{and I'm a cheapskate too!}
Oh, as per the blower motors...I've been told you really want brushless to avoid a possible fire from any given thinner fumes....old brushed motors can be easily had, but one lil spark.....
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 06:34 PM UTC
Here, for all and any of you who'd be interested;
http://www.sciplus.com/category.cfm/subsection/18
...5th one down "7inch"{sorry, I thought they were 6"} and $16 and some small change...and they deliver from the looks of it.

...had to watch the video...pretty neat, but he shoulda fit those side wings long before he started painting!
Wonder how long those corrogated cardboard filters hold up before they need to be replaced on that booth of his? Would like to have seen him paint the figures too...I never really have been good at figure painting.
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 10:27 PM UTC
Bob
I thought the same thing about the wings. My sub assembly would have had the wings fitted, but thanks to the video I'll know.
Post pictures of your fume extractor will you,sounds like a doable project.
I think the corrugated bit is in fact aircraft aluminum honey comb. It comes in different cell sizes and is structurally solid if you are pushing onto the honey comb, not so good from the sides.
The biggest thing I've ever painted is 1/48th aircraft, these days 1/35 vehicles so I don't need anything huge.
Thanks for helping out here.
Best wishes
Bill
 _GOTOTOP