Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Sorry Italy...
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2008 - 09:19 PM UTC
Wooohooo

I'm a happy camper. Euro 2008 couldn't have started better for Holland. 90 minutes of pure fighting and our boys in Orange managed to smash the leading world champion with 3-0 in Bern. Never in my short life have I seen our national football team play such a good and turbulent game of football. It was a big party in the local watering hole yesterday.

On to our match against France.

With happy greetings

Robert Blokker
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2008 - 09:27 PM UTC
An absolutely AMAZING game! Well done kaas koppe ;-)
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2008 - 09:46 PM UTC

let's just hope that they can keep it together until the final this time, rather than falling apart as usual..

FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2008 - 10:47 PM UTC
Ola Rudi and Henk

@ Rudi
Bedankt mijn Zuid Afrikaanse vriend. It was indeed a really amazing game. I hope they rerun the match today on Eurosport as I would love to see it again.

@ Henk.
You are absolutely right there. The Dutch national team tends to think too easy about stuff when the game is going well. And when it is not going well they often let the "Koppies hangen " But in the amazing shape they were in yesterday evening... it was like playing soccer with the knife between the teeth. Could this be the ressurection of "het Totaalvoetbal"?
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2008 - 11:25 PM UTC
Maybe they should ban all those great looking Dutch women from the stands during a game.
Congratulations on the win.
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 4,002 Posts
KitMaker Network: 648 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 02:01 AM UTC
Whoa!
I got up at 4:45am this morn for the game...
After Australia were robbed in the WC, I was happy to see Italy suffer what I thought was a bad call on the Ruud goal. (Later I heard that Panucci, even though over the byline , is still deemed to be in play and therefore kept him onside... )
A great and exciting game, and the Dutch well deserved the win. How well did Edwin and Giovanni play?! Gotta love counter attacking football. Teams will be scared to approach the Dutch net in future!
FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 07:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Maybe they should ban all those great looking Dutch women from the stands during a game.
Congratulations on the win.

Ssshhhtt Dave... Why should we do that? Next to the fact it distracts the opponent.. It is just nice to look at .

@ Bradley
That is very early to wake up for a football match. But I guess it was absolutely worth it. It is indeed true about the goal of van Nistelrooij. The official UEFA rules state that a defender cannot step out of the field to make sure that the attacker is standing offside. Not even when it happens accidentally. So yeah that was a happy thing. To tell you the truth we in the bar thought we were extremely lucky that we had a blind flagsman. Because everybody saw Ruud standing offside for 2 meters. Not much of us knew that rule... We already called it our "German Moment" as we have been screwed by the Germans at the World championship of 1974 in a similar type of deal... The german attacker actually stood offside then. I enjoyed everythign about the game yesterday. I cannot name one player who performed bad. From the Defender Bouhlarouz and Goalie van der Sar Up to midfielders de Jong and the Giant Engelaar, the quick and small Sneijder, Up to the people up front van Nistelrooij, van der Vaart, Kuijt (who never seems to run out of energy... he is everywhere)

Well I hope we have the same energy for france... together with all the beautifull dutch ladies in the stands we should have a winning combination then
Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,487 Posts
KitMaker Network: 464 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 08:11 AM UTC
Is there football on then???

Congrats on the win.

Andy
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 09:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Why should we do that? Next to the fact it distracts the opponent.. It is just nice to look at

Just got to be careful it doesn't distract the home team.
Henk
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 09:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes, the European Championship. A tournament in which the best 16 teams from Europe compete.

(running for cover, waving Orange flag..... )
FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 10:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Yes, the European Championship. A tournament in which the best 16 teams from Europe compete.

(running for cover, waving Orange flag..... )

Of course we the Dutch are no bad people so we will adopt any English fan looking for a real team to support during the European Championship. We will greet you as a friend. Allie even.
:-)--<

Knows he doesn't need to run for cover because he is safely in Holland.
Henk
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 10:27 AM UTC
Robert, what we need to know is, do you have an Orange wig??

Oranje Boven

Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 10:36 AM UTC
Good win for Sweden tonight - what was the final score? 2-0? I switched off as they went into injoury time - guessed there wouldn't be any change to the final score line...

But how bout those Swedish babes hey Dave? Reminds me of the time I met those Swedish triplets... but that's a story for another time
FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 10:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Robert, what we need to know is, do you have an Orange wig??

Oranje Boven

Henk you know as a Dutch man that the Dutch never let a chance go past to put on our favourite color. And of course wave our three colors. This means for the special occasions I have an appropriate wardrobe. Yes I have the original Orange Jersey from the World Championship (still the nicest shirt in the world) I have several orange wigs (zeeuws meisje, Beatrix, Zwartenpieten model) I think I pretty much have all the prange head gear that is made the last few years. I certainly have everything made by the beer brewers... including the Drum hat from Heineken that is the item for this year. I have an orange traffic cone shaped hat. An orange bowlerhat... I even have the controversial orange German Helmet which was released at the last WC, I got several Dutch Shawls all without a year on it so they can be used for multiple events and multiple years ( Hey I'm Dutch ) .. I can go on for a while I think the Dutch are the only folk in the world that creates such a huge and above all diverse amount of Orange stuff for every tournament we appear... for matches I usually settle for the Orange Jersey... I got the sideburns of 74 (although I';m not even as old that I could have experienced the WC of 74). Maybe for next match against France I will wear my orange Indian Chief Headgear to complement my jersey
FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 11:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Good win for Sweden tonight - what was the final score? 2-0? I switched off as they went into injoury time - guessed there wouldn't be any change to the final score line...

But how bout those Swedish babes hey Dave? Reminds me of the time I met those Swedish triplets... but that's a story for another time

Sweden Greece was absolutely a boring game. With all respect to the leading European Champion but it was at some points even Anti Football. I can confirm that Swedish girls are also very nice and caring... I speak out of experience. It already starts with their accent when they speak english.... hmmmmmmm
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 11:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

But how bout those Swedish babes hey Dave?

Nice from afar ..... but far from nice.

Quoted Text

Good win for Sweden tonight - what was the final score? 2-0?

Yip ... 2-0. Greece were very dissapointing .. one of the poorest displays so far IMO, and also considering they are the reigning champions. Sweden V Spain on saturday will the real test.

Holland were quite impressive ... for a change. For a team that always promises so much .. and almost a "who´s who" of football .. they never really lived up to expectations. I think this year could be different though. Their defence has become a lot more solid and with Sneijder and van Nistelrooij, up front, they´ll definately be scoring goals.
Rockfall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 884 Posts
KitMaker Network: 278 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 12:22 PM UTC
I wore my orange Dutch football shirt to work today (im an electrician) to stick it in the nose of a very annoying drywaller of Italian descent. He was going on and on yesterday about Italia. I have never seen him so quiet as he was this morning.

There are lots of us around here that are of Dutch heritage so I got a few high fives and have seen a few Dutch flags on peoples cars.

Sweet!!

Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 07:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

For a team that always promises so much .. and almost a "who´s who" of football .. they never really lived up to expectations.

Sounds a lot like jolly ol' England doesn't it
Bigskip
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 08:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

For a team that always promises so much .. and almost a "who´s who" of football .. they never really lived up to expectations.

Sounds a lot like jolly ol' England doesn't it

Unfortunately - yes. I've given up watching the England football team other than in major championships (if they qualify) - it's too painful.

Andy
FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 01:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Holland were quite impressive ... for a change. For a team that always promises so much .. and almost a "who´s who" of football .. they never really lived up to expectations. I think this year could be different though. Their defence has become a lot more solid and with Sneijder and van Nistelrooij, up front, they´ll definately be scoring goals.

Ola Frank I sadly have to agree. While we are always on the list of favorites for any tournament. And people always say we pretty much have the best players in the world... what good are good players if you don't have a real leader and they cannot play together like a team.. Well this resulted in the fact that for the last 20 years we were favorites without a price. The fun thing is that the Dutch team under 21 managed to become European and World Champion So that promises something for the future. (I hope)

@ Jeff
You should see it here. Every bus, Taxi is carrying flags, A lot of cars I passed on the way to a customer today were having flags or at least orange stuff somewhere visible in the car. Classrooms are completely orange. Bars and cafe's are completely orange... and with completely I mean completely. Some people even painted their house orange.

@ Andy
I feel your pain. Despite Orange having good results in the last 4 years 30 matches of which only 4 were lost and the rest was either won or draw, the style of football was pretty much the most boring and not interesting I have ever seen. The constant experimenting of Van Basten drove people mad. Slow ugly football. Not inspired. And the Dutch want to see nice football with a lot of action. pretty much all that happened monday is what we want to see from football. I hope they keep it up. I could get used to a good playing Orange team.

Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 09:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

But how bout those Swedish babes hey Dave?

Swedish babes work also.
Snowhand
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 1,066 Posts
KitMaker Network: 324 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 10:36 AM UTC
which is probably why there arent that many on this photo
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 12:26 AM UTC
And I though folks over here did strange things at NFL games.
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
entire network: 3,529 Posts
KitMaker Network: 422 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 02:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

And I though folks over here did strange things at NFL games.

I think the European fans have almost every NFL fan beat, except those nuts up in Green Bay. Watching a game up there in the winter just cannot be beat.

Bigskip
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 04:25 AM UTC
Henk

I've run your sig through a transloator, but what does

'Go Holland Go, don't leave the lion standing in his undershirt.'

mean??