_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Applying Decals to Metallic Paint Surfaces
FrankV
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 4 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 12:23 PM UTC
Hello:
After a many year hiatus, I re-started plastic modellinwith civil DC-3 project. Several markings need to be applied to the metal painted wings and fuselage.
I did not apply any clear coat such as MicroGloss or Future prior to applying my first decal. I used Solvaset to soften the decal. To my horror, the decal did not adhere whatsoever. Thank Heaven I applied only one decal.
Is this due not applying the clear coat? If not, how can I improve adhesion?
Incidentally the base paint is Floquil Bright Silver.
Thanks for your assistance.
nitrocomplex
Visit this Community
APO, United States
entire network: 349 Posts
KitMaker Network: 122 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 08:37 PM UTC
I keep a simple rule about decals if it isn't gloss it won't stick and it will silver.

So no matter what i lay down some gloss and then decal with mircosol then dull it out. But now that i have moved back into auto models for now i don't have to worry about doing the whole glosscoat then dullcoat since it's all gloss paint.
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 01:51 AM UTC
Hey Frank..

I agree, no clear coat is the problem, esp with metal paints. Also solveset is prob. one of the most powerful of decal sovents to use so always use a clear coat, gloss coat or future with it. I'm not saying thats a bad thing because solveset is pretty much the only thing I use.

Here is a ford Tri-motor I did in metalizer paint, future coated then decals with solveset.

The decals snugged down on the corragated surfaces with no silvering.. (thats what i like about using future and solveset)...

FrankV
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 4 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 07:42 AM UTC
Thanks for your valuable advice!
HawkeyeV
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 319 Posts
KitMaker Network: 184 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 12:43 PM UTC
It really depends on what you are using for your "metal" paint. I don't have any problems applying decals directly to either of my products, SnJ Spray Metal (enamel) or Talon Series (acrylic) NMF.

Anytime you apply a clear coat over a NMF you change the appearance of the finish. Some find this acceptable others do not.

_GOTOTOP