_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
modeling magazines
gamodelmaker
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 186 Posts
KitMaker Network: 56 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2008 - 07:54 AM UTC
well with me just getting back into the armor building i was wondring what modeling magazines area out thier. i know about fsm but what ones do you subscribe to,
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 860 Posts
KitMaker Network: 340 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 08:56 AM UTC
Military Modelling international
capnjock
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 03:08 AM UTC
WouldnŽt really recommend subscribing to any particular magazine, as the contents vary and you end up paying for magazines that have nothing much that interests you. Its probably better to flick through some, or keep an eye out on the homepages and buy/order the ones that interest you only.
Jin Rae made a pretty good account of the English magazines some ago and worth reading for an overview of the biggest. The Great Magazine Head to Head) . FSM is geared towards the newcomer, but has some decent articles now and again. The only one I get, regularily is AFV Modeller (6 times a year) .... good mag, but very expensive.
Another option is Ospreys Modelling series. Costs the same as a few mags, but very inspirational and a great reference, and the tips are useful for any build. YouŽll find yourself chacking back on these often.
tankfixer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 283 Posts
KitMaker Network: 167 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 01:51 AM UTC
I like FSM myself. I look at some of the others but thats about it.
Metal_blast
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 199 Posts
KitMaker Network: 10 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 02:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

WouldnŽt really recommend subscribing to any particular magazine, as the contents vary and you end up paying for magazines that have nothing much that interests you.

That is very true. If you think about it though, if you subscribe or buy magazines regularly, just think of all that money you could've spent into your hobby rather than a few articles from a magazine.

I myself do buy modelling magazines from time to time, but in the end I usually try and find articles online or just use my own artist expression to finish up a model. I mean let's face it, copying someone else's technique will only get you so far, but experimenting is where the fun is at.
thedoog
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 263 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 03:56 PM UTC
Finescale Modeler, for sure--the fact that I've been published there in January, and will have another article in November's issue probably biases me a bit?
Javlin813
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 05:29 AM UTC
Model Military International & Military Miniatures in Review are the two I prefer. I dropped my FSM subscription several years ago. - almost completely useless, especially for the the price.

Scott
 _GOTOTOP