_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
How often do you change your X-acto Blades?
Sladog
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 111 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 02:04 PM UTC
Just curious.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 02:06 PM UTC
I might go through 5-10 per project depending on how and what I'm cutting.
I flip flop back and forth between two #11 handles, together I'll run that number up.
Matrix
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 528 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 02:44 PM UTC
Depends on the job. At least 3 times per project.
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 03:18 PM UTC
Depends on the project, but I'll get a model out of a sharp #11 easy. I have three #11 handles at the ready at all times... New (sharp), not-so-sharp, and basically dull. The dull is what I often apply super glues and putty with. After each project, they get 'rotated' downward. Each handle is marked with red tape stripes.... one, two, three.

#:-)
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 494 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 03:53 PM UTC
Kevin has the right of it. I keep duller ones on hand to cut wire with. The new ones get used till they are not longer sharp then sit on the bench till I have some wire or somethinghard to cut, then are discarded when completely mangled. The more I scratchbuild, the more often I change them. I have gone through four or more already on the abrams interior.

Rob
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 06:31 PM UTC
When the cut is not anymore satisfactory. Like others I keep the old ones for rough tasks.
Ciao
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 06:49 PM UTC
i use scalpel blades and honestly they stay sharp a long time. I can usually build 4-5 kits with them. that's why i dropped xacto got dull in a hurry
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 08:51 PM UTC
As I build 95% OOB, I have a set with three handles. The sharpest, usually lasts me about 6 months. The dullest startest of as sharp and is 2 years old. Sometimes too sharp is more of a problem than a help in my eyes. I tend to be a bit heavy handed. When i went through my phase of building all dios from stryofoam, I went through 2 or 3 per dio. It had to be 100% sharp to get a nice even cut! I just change when I feel its needed.
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 09:18 PM UTC
I stopped using the exactos shortly after I started building models. I have found that I perfer to use the Testor's Hobby Knifes. They are fairly cheap... about $1 each the blades are very sharp and stay sharp for quite a while and most importantly I like how they feel in my hand when I use them. I keep at least 2 new ones on hand at all times. and I use them till they start to get dull then I rotate them to other duties. Such as cutting wire... also if you cut off the sharp tip into a flat tip they make great applicators for putty.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 02:28 AM UTC
I just change them when it is nicked off. After every use, I sharpen them.
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 03:25 AM UTC
I have the threehandles to for #11blades and two medium handles with different blades. I can't say for sure how often I change my blades but I'd say evry two or three months a #11 hits the trash.

Josh Aka shiryon
Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 205 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 03:27 AM UTC
Whenever the blade needs changing, usually every kit or so.
StukeSowle
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 599 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 05:32 AM UTC
Depends on the kits being made at the time. An old Tamiya kit with the hard plastic, they get changed out pretty quickly.

DML kits last longer, but those indy tracks will kill a blade!
IanSadler
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 324 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 06:20 AM UTC
hi i must be the odd one out i cannot remeber that last time i changed a blade maybe 7 years ago , i sharpen mine on the underside unglazzed rim of a coffie cup , seems to work cheers ian
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 07:01 AM UTC
Some of you guys must be way more frugel than I am. I just bought 5 number 11 blades for $1.14. For 23 cents that dull rascal is going into the trash. Pretty slim return on time invested. Now, if you guys get them sharper than they are when they are new, that is a different story. If think that may be the case honing them on the bottom of a coffee cup. :-) #:-)
KiwiDave
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
entire network: 248 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 07:57 AM UTC
I use Swann Morton scalpel blades which seem to last me a long time. I change when blunt and save the blunt ones for scraping, etc. I also give blunt blades a quick hone on a fine stone to get another life out of them. But then I will do anything to save money!

Regards Dave
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 11:47 AM UTC
I am like KiwiDave.
I resahrpen mine on a fine stone w/oil.It extends the life,and I am usually comfortable with a blade,and figure it has a certain cutting"chi" that lasts a while.
Ahh,zen and the art of modelbuilding.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 01:37 PM UTC
TankCarl, Too funny. Now we have fish, UFOS, Bigfoot, Chiclets and Zen...

"When you can snatch this dull blade from my hand, you must leave here, Model Builder..."
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1,318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 01:59 PM UTC
Like Blaster, I use scapel blades. A #11 scapel fits into an X-acto handle with no trouble. I find that scapels last a really long time. I usually don't change the blade until I break the tip off of it.

Patrick
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 3,179 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 02:04 PM UTC
Like PLMP, when the tip breaks or if I need a really good cut
Jock
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 58 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2003 - 02:01 PM UTC
I'm glad I'm not the only one who re-sharpens blades.I feel I'm being too cheap but a blade will last forever(almost) when you apply a fine stone to it.I also use two handles and put a fresh blade into the #1 when I start a new kit.JOCK
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 12:20 AM UTC
:-) I also use scalpel blades, I have 6 handles, 3 with No 11 blades, 2 with No 10 blades and 1 with a 10A blade. I always keep 1 No 11 for canopy masking, 1 for cutting masking tape. I was given the handles and a shed load of blades by a medic friend, many moons ago. :-) I don't have to many left now. I sometimes sharpen them, I use a ceramic tiles that I rescued when I was laser cutting. They form the base of the electronics in mobile phones and the like. To answer the question, I don't know how often I change the blades. I change them when they are to dull for the job, or I sharpen them :-)
Mal
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 04:38 AM UTC
Small world,Holdfast,
I am in the electronic ceramics buis meself.
I make a "sharpening " stone from our ceramic.
Free too,I just give em a ride on the boat through the kiln.My length is limited to about 3" long,but I can laminate a few layers together to get it up to about .125" thick.
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 06:00 AM UTC
Mmm, I saw some X-Acto blades "eaters" out there so I've got a question for you: what do you use them for? I use them only to clean parts from casting seams and sometimes to cut masks out of masking tapes or to remove them... To cut parts off the sprues and PE I use a cutting tool used for electronic components that, if properly used, is almost eternal...
Ciao
Puma112
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 322 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 06:41 AM UTC
I go through them at different speeds, so it’s hard to say how long. Things like dropping them on the floor all night (I hate gravity at times!!), scraping putty from gaps, wife needing something sharp (Just for a minute dear!!) all add to short life spans. I do have a few of them ready to go and have taken to putting silly putty around the handle so they can’t roll. Also JUST started a scalpel with blades. Like it because it’s FLAT and does not roll. But like all new tools it takes time to get used to…just ask my fingers how sharp this one is. A little blood loss is good if I can keep it off the models! Pardon the pun, but that’s my cut on it (oh that was bad!!).

Tracy
:-)
 _GOTOTOP