_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Printing Decals
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
entire network: 2,365 Posts
KitMaker Network: 474 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 01:48 PM UTC
Hello Gents,
I have a problem. I tried to use the Testor set for custom made decals (I badly need them), but I messed up both times, so I come forward, and humbly ask: what do I mess up?
Printing with inkjet printer - fine.
Coating with the coating agent from spray-can -not so fine; the ink starts to run
Dipping it into water: the ink and the paper are not detaching; no sign of any kind of decal. Might as well trying to soak off the letters from a book.

I suspect I mess up something with the coating. How do you people do that? I badly need decals for the pimp campaign, and have about a day to finish...

Your help is much appreciated.
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,019 Posts
KitMaker Network: 332 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 11:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Gents,
I have a problem. I tried to use the Testor set for custom made decals (I badly need them), but I messed up both times, so I come forward, and humbly ask: what do I mess up?
Printing with inkjet printer - fine.
Coating with the coating agent from spray-can -not so fine; the ink starts to run
Dipping it into water: the ink and the paper are not detaching; no sign of any kind of decal. Might as well trying to soak off the letters from a book.

I suspect I mess up something with the coating. How do you people do that? I badly need decals for the pimp campaign, and have about a day to finish...

Your help is much appreciated.

I have the same software. The materials I buy come from Papilion.com. I know there are two different sprays, one is a fixative which is basically a clear coat (DuPont Krylon is what I use) to seal the ink and there is another coating that is a UV protector and another still that can be applied to the surface your decal is going on. Is it possible you are using the UV protectant rather than the clear? Check papilion's site as they have a pretty good process description. Also, a tip- if you want a little more versatility grab a copy of CorelDRAW 12. You can find it really cheap since the newest version of CorelDRAW is out. All you are doing is printing a "document" to water slide paper and CorelDRAW is very versatile. There's more to learn than with Testors,
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 07:14 AM UTC
I tried testors too with the same results, but I was told not to lay the sealing coat on too thick{not that I thought I did in the 1st place}..."several light...almost mist coats would be the hot ticket"...I just haven't gone back to try it again..at all unfortunately. I did aquire three large clear decal sheets from "Sig mfg"{model airplanes site} for a decent price.

I'd love to be able to conquer the dreaded "home made decal" syndrome I have but my problem with the "quickcad 8.0" is hampering me worse than the decals...can't really even get a start for lack of knowledge of cad programs.
 _GOTOTOP