_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Market Research in the Model Industry
IvanHoe
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
entire network: 56 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 06:58 AM UTC
Does anybody know how to go about performing Market Research in the Model Industry? I have built a prototype "modeling aid" and need would like to find out how to proceed or if I should just use it for my own use.

Two ways I have thought of so far are these:
1. Submit my prototype to an established manufacturer for possible production and marketing. One thing that bothers me in this approach is the need to protect myself and the product from theft.

2. Build a few and let my fellow modelers test it and provide feedback. Seems like a better approach and would provide "working" feedback. But, same concern as the first approach applies.

Any feedback is GREATLY appreciated!
TwistedFate
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 805 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 06:59 AM UTC
Patent it before you show it to anybody.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 07:02 AM UTC
TF's right - if you think it'll go production (heck even if not its your idea) get a patent.
Then I would try to find a smaller organization, club, that could evaluate it.
If its a tool, you don't need a Testors or Tamiya to make it you could find a local fabricator and contract with them then do the retail contact yourself and go to clubs, local hobby shops, etc for retail outlets. You can also go right here as Keith and others have done.
Mar-74
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 679 Posts
KitMaker Network: 166 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 07:27 AM UTC
what ever you do patent it first, you'd hate to see your idea stolen, patented and marketed and loose out on every thing you've come up with!!!!!
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 494 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 07:29 AM UTC
I would sell them at the local conventions till word gets out, then seek a contract with a big company.

Rob
Part-timer
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 361 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 07:41 AM UTC
If you just wanted to get some feedback before you seek a patent, you could get non-disclosure/confidentiality agreements from your test audience/group. That way, you could get a feel for whether it was worth the time and expense of a patent application (not easy).
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 07:42 AM UTC
One quick way of protecting your design while you are going through the patent process is to fully document your idea, put it in a sealed envelope addressed to yourself with the stamps covering the seal. Post it to yourself and when it arrives keep it safe unopened. The stamps should be franked with the date and protecting the seal proving it is not tampered with. If in future anybody tries to use your idea as theirs you will have proof of when you came up with it.
IvanHoe
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 08:16 AM UTC
Thanks so much for the feedback so far, everyone! I still have to turn my prototype into an actual working device, but this gives me great direction.
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 08:42 AM UTC
Patent it, Patent it, Patent it, Patent it, Patent it, Patent it, Patent it, Patent it, Patent it, Patent it, Patent it, Patent it, Patent it, Patent it, Patent it, Patent it, Patent it, Patent it, Patent it !!!

I've seen some of the best ideas fallen in the wrong guys hands..... you'll be sorry for life if it happens to you.

Whatever happens... Good luck and if I can use what you invented, I hope I can buy it some day....with your name on it !!

Good luck !
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 08:51 AM UTC
I could probably dig up a confidentiality/non-disclosure agreement at work tomorrow and e-mail you a copy if you want to look it over. All of the one’s I have had to sign have been pretty much the same. Let me know.
IvanHoe
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 10:21 AM UTC
Keenan,

That would be excellent! Thanks.
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 10:23 AM UTC
Let me know what you decide,I "invented 'something too,and would like to make some on my own (it is an easy to make thing) and just share with others.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 10:37 AM UTC
I wish you luck and hope it's your idea alone. I've been the victim of people lifting ideas and concepts from my efforts - and know others who've shared the same misfortune. The Internet, for all of its wonderful uses can also be one's worst enemy.

Gunnie
 _GOTOTOP