_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Parafilm M
aeroswat
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 13 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2003 - 11:15 PM UTC
Hey Guys
I just bought some of htis Parafilm M, and was wondering how good it was while masking, also are there any difficulties with it. is it easy to mask camo schemes any answers would be greatly appreciated.
TIA
Shawn #:-)
NimitzFan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 191 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 12:23 AM UTC
I have used it for years. It is a very good masking agent. You can manipulate it much easier than masking tape, so I find it easier to create camo paterns.

The downsides are do not stretch it too much when it you are applying it because it may split on you. Remove it as soon as the paint dries. Sometimes if you leave it on too long after a paint application it will become very difficult (but not impossible) to remove.

Good luck,

TwistedFate
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 805 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 02:31 AM UTC
Run a Sharp #11 around the edge of the masking before pulling it off. It will come off without pulling the paint with it if you let it set too long.
ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 714 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 05:48 AM UTC
It's great stuff. It takes a little getting used to. DO NOT used solvent based paints or primers over this material. It will react with them and get stuck to your model.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 07:11 AM UTC
:-) Shawn,
I use it all the time for masking canopies. It's good stuff but it's one of those items that you have to "get to know" I have the lowdown on it somewhere, I'll try and find it and PM you with it. I've never used it for masking camo though.
If I haven't PM'd you in a couple of days give me a heads up, just started a new job (today :-))
and I have much less time than of late :-)
Mal
 _GOTOTOP