_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
good detail kit companies
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 02:22 PM UTC
Hello all. I am going to be ordering some detail kits, mainly stowage for modern vehicles. I have done some research and so far I am going to try some stuff from AEF designs and Legend productions. I have 2 questions. 1. before I order some products to try these guys out has anyone had a bad experience that I should know about before I order? 2. Are there some more companies or products I should check out that I have missed. Please leave a link if possible, or some instructions on where to find it if the answer is yes if it isn't to much trouble. Thanks for the help
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 11:04 PM UTC
You should check the now classic verlinden products.
They are quite nice !

sorry, I don't know any link...

pnpen
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 778 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 11:07 PM UTC
Andrew,

I like AEF's stuff...I used several gun barrels from them. Decent, if older, resin stuff.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2002 - 05:57 AM UTC
Drew - I haven't had much success with the AEF stuff - but they are older items, and I've heard that they've made large improvements since then.

I agree that Verlinden's range is really, really, nice - though it might not be 100% accurate. I like a lot of their items and will always turn to them.

Royal Models produces some excellent resin and detail sets. They tend to be pretty elaborate - nice pieces to add to your models.

I also like Legend Productions - the new stuff out of the Far East. These are nicely done too and not quite as expensive as Hobby Fan items.

Gunnie
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 1,958 Posts
KitMaker Network: 720 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2002 - 09:24 AM UTC
Hi!
I got a AEF Centurion tank, and my sample shows a lot of holes, but the details are good...
I´ve heard that their equipaments are good and accurate, but I never got one, just heard...
My two cents
Tiger1
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 171 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 12:54 AM UTC
Every aftermarket company that offers detail kits has it's pros and cons. For instance, Verlinden Production makes some great detail sets made out of resin and brass, but they have the uncanny ability to often forget to package necessary parts. I had to return the Tiger 1 detail set 4 times before I gave up with the kit and just got a refund. MB models makes some great conversion sets. Over the years I have been making my own detail parts using Evergreen styrene, brass and copper sheets. Micro Mark offers many useful tool for cutting precise measurements of both plastic and sheet metal. This is more fun and with practice, can save you money. But what I can not replicate, I buy. :-)
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2002 - 10:47 AM UTC
royal, eduard, aber, part, show modelling, aires, verlinden, are just some of the companies i would recommend. :-)
 _GOTOTOP